How do I sex an Angel Fish

I'm pretty sure it's down to the fins or the feeler bits, but best way to get a breeding pair is to buy about 6 juvvy's then let them all grow up togther and by doding this you should get atleast 1 breeding pair.

Getting extra's and letting them determain there own pairs is your best bet and if the fish are juvenile, the only real sensible answer.

i dont know how true this is. but my lfs told me that one of them (cant remember if its male or female) has a sort of notch in their nose. So when you look at their profule one of them has a little dip. Thats how my lfs picked out my male and female (i think they are) angels.. in any case, they get along fine together and swim around together and one has the notch and the other doesnt.

did i explain it right? do i need to draw a picture?

you can only tell the sex of angels once they are full grown. I do it by profile too. the males have the nuchal hump to the head and are more slender and tapered at the belly. the female has a more rounded look and when in breeding condition has a short blunt breeding tube whereas the male has a long tapered one.

black angel said:
you can only tell the sex of angels once they are full grown. I do it by profile too. the males have the nuchal hump to the head and are more slender and tapered at the belly. the female has a more rounded look and when in breeding condition has a short blunt breeding tube whereas the male has a long tapered one.
Ditto this. Juvenile angels are nearly impossible to sex. If you're looking to get a breeding pair, the *most* reliable way to do that is to get a group of 6 small angels and let them pair off naturally.

I gotcha - it's pretty hard to tell with just one. How big is it?

if its a lovely looker then it must be female!!! :D
I've been breeding angelfish for over 30 years and angelfish are basically impossible to sex until they are in the act of spawning. The Female's egg tube will be much larger and wider than the the tube on the male. Although many say they can sex angelfish when they are adults it usually a guess. I can usually guess and hit about 75% correct but it's just from their behavior and usually I go with the larger one as the male (which is not always the case). As far as the hump on the head, I have both males and females with those humps. More males than females but still it will exist on both.

David
Angelfishusa.com

Most reactions

Back