How Do I Remove A Mirror Background ?

flavio

Reaction score
my aquarium came with a mirror background and it seems to annoy my fish, so i have decided to remove it but i have no clue how to remove it.

is it a glass or acrilic aquarium?

Not having seen it, I would assume its some sort of adhesive sheeting on the back of the tank. If its glass I would try a razor blade, and perhaps a product like goof off or other adhesive removal spray. Do cover the tank to make sure NOTHING gets in there. An acrillic tank might be more tricky...

If it stuck on then I would suggest using a hair dryer to soften the glue and peel it off carefully. If the tank is glass then you can use a razor blade to help... CAREFULLY!

If the tank is glass then you can get a product called 'Tar and Glue Remover' and other similar products that are made for removing glue residue and tar from car paintwork. I used to work as a vinyl designer/fitter making signs etc and we used it all the time to remove glue, it takes it off in seconds.

A word of caution however, use it sparingly as I don't imagine it will do the silicone seal much good, I would avoid getting it on that at all. Also, I woudlnt use this on an acrylic tank as I don't know how it will affect it. I have used such products on plastic before with no adverse effects, still I wouldn't feel comfortable given the pressures etc involved.

Hope this helps

Aaron

Most reactions

Back