How Do I No When My Guppie Is Going To Give Birth?

88Carrie

Reaction score
hey I'm new to this site and thought it would be a good way to get some info so iv joined :)

my molly recently just had babies and all but one of them got eaten by the other fish in my tank!
one of my female guppies is huge now and the black spot under her is massive and the males are really hassling her! would it be a good idea to move her into my other tank that has the baby molly in or is a hatchery net a good idea? im clueless please help

When her belly gets 'corners' at the front, she should give birth within a day or two (or around then; they can hold onto their fry for a while, if they're not happy). The separate tank would be best.

Needs verifying but isn't it round about when the gravid spot (the dark patch) goes from circular to squared in shape?

No; it's the actual stomach of the fish that changes shape.

the  view and shape of a guppy a day before giving  Birth to 60 fry
IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

How close is my guppy to giving birth? I wanna separate her because one of the males is constantly chasing her, but I don't want to do it until it's very close.

Edit: Trying to figure out how to attach pic...

it looks very close ma y be up to 5 days it's difficult to tale by looking at a photo I don't use breeder nets or them silly little breeder traps they are way to small and can easy stress the fish. it is best to put the graved female in a small  tank  with a few plants or plastic ones will do ,if you don't have a spare tank  a plastic container will do . I find  that a clear mixing bowl  works well it can be left in the main
tank to float  

th_IMG_0017.jpg
c
bth_IMG_0009.jpg

the best cover for the fry is a pace of Scouring pad the adult fish  cant get in to eat the fry
 unlike a breeder trap the guppy has more space and can be kept in container for a good few days with out coursing any stress

Can anyone help? I have 3 pregnant guppies, but one is closer to birth than the others. Very very sorry that the pic is blurry, ipad camera isnt very good. Can anyone tell how long this guppy has left? Bought her just over 2 weeks ago, she was pregnant when i bought her so wondering if it is anytime soon she will give birth? image.jpg

Jessman, she doesn't look all that close. I think you've still got a good wait.

Here are my thoughts about guppies. I raised them for a good while. They are very prolific because in the wild most of the fry are eaten, so they have to have lots and lots to keep their numbers up. Only the strong and smart fry survive by hiding those first few days. It should be the same in the hobby. Let nature take its course, otherwise you'll be hip deep in them before long. 

If you provide a hiding place for the fry, for instance java moss or Jessman, the wisteria (?) in your photo, the best ones will find a hiding place away from the ravenous adults. Feed regularly, but make sure some of the flakes are tiny so they can drift into the plants and the fry can find it. 

While the mother is giving birth, feed the fish then. It will save some of the fry as the adults will be more interested in the food than the fry. 

Trying to rescue all the fry by putting the mother in a breeder box and chasing all the fry around the tank causes undue stress to mom and the fry. It's possible to stress the mom enough to kill her. Just let them be. You'll still have plenty of fry along the way.

Thank you, ill just look around in a couple of weeks to see if there are any fry hiding. I have a few plants so plenty of places to hide. Sorry for hijacking the posts but i have no clue how to start a new one?! New to this :)

Most reactions

Back