How do I know if I’m getting enough oxygen in my tank?

SABWARNER16

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
All of my tanks have pretty low flow filters, and none of them have air stones because I was worried about there being too much movement for my bettas (I have bettas only). I’ve noticed that a couple of my bettas do go up to the surface for a quick second and then release a bubble on their way down. Have they been struggling this whole time and I though it was just something they did?... I change water about once a week now since all my tanks are cycled. Can I get some suggestions?

All of my tanks have pretty low flow filters, and none of them have air stones because I was worried about there being too much movement for my bettas (I have bettas only). I’ve noticed that a couple of my bettas do go up to the surface for a quick second and then release a bubble on their way down. Have they been struggling this whole time and I though it was just something they did?... I change water about once a week now since all my tanks are cycled. Can I get some suggestions?

This is normal anabantid behaviour, they will take in a gulp of air and extract oxygen via the internal labyrinth organ. This allows them to live in oxygen-poor water, little more than moist mud for part of the year.

If you have live plants, there is no real need for any filter with a Betta. Though a simple sponge filter can't hurt.

This is normal anabantid behaviour, they will take in a gulp of air and extract oxygen via the internal labyrinth organ. This allows them to live in oxygen-poor water, little more than moist mud for part of the year.

If you have live plants, there is no real need for any filter with a Betta. Though a simple sponge filter can't hurt.
Okay that’s good to know, thank you. I have HOB filters for all right now set at low flow, but yes I also have plants. Thank you!

I think it's a good idea to have a low flow filter for a betta tank; live plants are great too. I've found that if a tank has low oxygen, the fish will hang out exclusively near the surface and will look distressed. That happened with my CPD tank and I added an air stone and their behavior changed immediately for the better. With bettas I don't think you need to worry as much about low oxygen as they can extract oxygen from the air.

@Byron said it perfectly...

Betta fish don’t “need” filters, but I find tanks work out better when they have one. Filters keep the water clear, which is not only good for the fish, but appealing to look at.

Most reactions

Back