How do I clean this??!

i know everyone is going thru all the trouble for ideas, but........
...i still dont see the scum mark. Am i blind or something?

its the blury bit in the middle of the picture. It is from were some glass was glued in to seperate the tank into 2 (Old shop tank)

11238.jpg

"Limescale is just calcium that sticks!"

(It is not, it is calcium carbonate which is quite different. Barry Scott is a liar! Might still work though, plus I just wanted to mention Barry Scott, he is a true hero.)

Vinegar will work on limescale stains, but I doubt it will work on silicone. Also, since it is inside the tank (assuming) I would be careful about using chemical cleaners. Your best bet, I think, is a Stanley knife blade and a lot of patience. Good luck!

<edit> has the silicone marked the front AND back of the tank? You could always place the stained part to the back and get clever with your planting! :)

yer i have tried a stanley knife. All the stuff that i have been told to use is in the same bowl mixing 2gether making a super cleaner which will eventually get it off hopefully,

Please keep posting your cleaning methods though!

oooh, i see it now. but wont all this dish soap and cleaners kill the fish when you put water in the tank?

Bloomjack said:
It is from were some glass was glued in to seperate the tank into 2 (Old shop tank)
Oh so its silicone? Well, you will have to (as cathyG says) be patient (and careful) with a stanley blade. You may be able to find some chemical (nail polish remover?) that can dissolve silicone, but your tank will need a very good rinse afterwards to get rid of any residues.

Jon

Bloomjack said:
I have tried wire wool, Stanley Knife and a Billo pad but they haven't worked! Any hints?? I will be grateful

not a very good picture but I hope you get the jist ;)

DSCN1023-copy.jpg
why dont you just turn the tank around so the mark is at the back and then put a back ground on the back on the outside then once its full you wont see the mark as much :p

The mark is inside the tank on both sides. I have not yet used any chemicals and will try not to

i had the samething on my tank (well sorta) and i use a chemical cleaner called C.L.R. Its a very hash chemical. but my fish seem to be fine and happy.

Sno-bowl toilet bowl cleaner. Don't laugh, it works. Just rinse real well afterwards. I have a few old tanks running that were cleaned this way. It got the crud off a really neglected metal framed Jewel tank from the early '50s.

Tolak

Sno-bowl toilet bowl cleaner, I don't think we can get that here in the uk.

I'm pretty sure it's a hydrochloric acid based toilet cleaner. Eats off anything. Wear gloves.

Tolak

Most reactions

Back