How do I clean sand without disturbing it?

Daveo

Fishaholic
Reaction score
How do I clean sand without disturbing it? cause I don't know how to do that.

Daveo :flex:

Just use a vacum like normal but hold it further away from the sand.

so hold it like a few inches above it, if so will that actually clean it, will it take the poop from the tank. thanks and have you ever used sand in a fresh water tank, How does it look i think it would look really cool and could it be mixed with a little bit of rock or just pure sand thanx

Daveo :flex:

Yes, it should suck up the poo.

If you are using a thick layer of sand (which isn't reccomended) you should stir it up before every weekly partial water change to keep any deadly pockets of gas forming. Even with only about half an inch of sand, you should still stir it up to help rid it of extra debris.

Corydoras catfish, some other catfish, khulie loaches and certain snails will also adequately stir up sand if it isn't too deep.

Sand looks fantastic in a freshwater tank but you have to be careful to get the right kind for your tank.

For example, if you want bottom-dwelling catfish like cories you don't want anything sharp so sillica sand (for example) should be avoided. Also, crushed coral should be avoided in most tanks as it raises pH and acts as a buffer. It's useful in rift lake cichlid tanks though.

The rest is up to personal prefference.

Keep in mind that some sand is dustier than others and will need more washing and take longer to settle (a seriously cloudy tank for a couple of days isn't that rare...). Try to avoid this sort of sand as it'll also be more difficult to clean and won't settle if stirred up.

Dark sand will hide poo better than light sand where it is incredibly obvious and often calls for daily cleaning. A darker substrate also generaly brings out color more. It's up to your taste in the end but I don't like very bright yellow or orange sand and preffer either pale, almost white, sand or a dark brown-grey to black. But that's just me :)

You may put in rocks or whatever but I think pure sand looks best.

If you can get it, the kind of sand used for pools is ideal. Beach play sand and other sands are all generaly fine but remember to clean thouroughly first and be patient for the sand to settle.

Lastly, a search of this forum will bring up SO many threads concerning sand you can't imagine... so... you know what to do ;) :p

I think that the "deadly pockets of gas" is a total myth. I've had a tank with sand at a depth of 3 inches running for a year and have not experienced any such gas pockets.

Also, IME, holding the vac a few inches above the surface will not clean anything. I have to put the vac right on top of the gravel in order for anything other than water to be sucked up. It also helps to swish the vac back and forth to stir things up.

I'm staying clear of the "deadly pockets of gas" ;) but agree on the vacuuming thing. You want to be picking up a bit of sand/gravel in the tube, it will mostly fall back down and very little if any actually gets siphoned off.

ive heard that if you kink the hose of ur vac it will slow the flow down and should stop the sand from being sucked up :nod:

And as for the pockets of gas i believe i heard cfc talking about them once.

FFM

Fishy Fishy Man said:
ive heard that if you kink the hose of ur vac it will slow the flow down and should stop the sand from being sucked up :nod:
Yup, that works. A useful technique whilst vacuuming out dangerous pockets of gas.

heresmike said:
I think that the "deadly pockets of gas" is a total myth. I've had a tank with sand at a depth of 3 inches running for a year and have not experienced any such gas pockets.
First time I've heard that... Does anyone else feel the same? Has anyone else experienced this?

Discomafia said:
heresmike said:
First time I've heard that... Does anyone else feel the same? Has anyone else experienced this?
Unclear on what your question is.... are you questioning if the deadly pockets of gas are a myth? Or have you never heard of "deadly pockets of gas"? Or are you questioning whether anyone else has had a sand botton tank without those mythical deadly pockets of gas?

I would love to see evidence that this is possible and that it would have a detrimental effect on fish. Until then, I believe it is a myth.

I'm questioning if they're a myth, because that's the first time I've heard it been called one...

Heres my theory on the sand stirring dispute. The bacteria that produces deadly gas, needs fish food to survive. If you never stir the tank, the food will never sink down to the depths where anearobic bacteria could live.

Someone correct me if i missed something.

Most reactions

Back