Geophagus and sand sifting

I've kept wavrini - nice fish but rarely like it is in photos. They glow with a flash, but regular light is less impressive.

Bear in mind that with all the larger Geophagus, you have fish as delicate as Discus, with heavier bodies.You need to be rigid with water changing if you want to have them for more than a couple of years. They challenge filtration, and should be lightly stocked. Four adults will do in a 120, with a small number of small companion fish, if any.

I had winemilleri in a 75 (4 of them), and argyrostictus in the same sized tank beside them, and they were endless work. Red Headed Tapajos had my 120. If I was even a couple of days slow with water changes, neuromast pitting started. I could reverse it with a water change, but it became a treadmill, with a family, job and Geos, and I sold the fish. For my 3 Geophagus tanks, at 270 gallons total, I was changing out 100 to 150 gallons a week.
I would love to have Geophagines again, but maybe Apistogramma, Mikrogeophagus of Biotodoma. If I had space for a big tank, Satanoperca daemon is my one large species I'd take as worth the trouble. I'd need 300 gallons, at the least. I don't see it happening.

I absolutely love these fish and miss seeing them with their complex and colourful ways. But respect their needs - they are a lot of work, and are for the dedicated and organized fishkeeper only.

The tank is not yet commissioned, it will be custom built and in the process of moving house at the moment. It will depend what the space of the house allows, but leaning toward a 6x2x2. A favourite fish I’ve kept has been the cardinal tetra, but I’m assuming this wouldn’t work with such a big cichlid?

If I had space for a big tank, Satanoperca daemon is my one large species I'd take as worth the trouble. I'd need 300 gallons, at the least. I don't see it happening.
From my reading they are a true blackwater fish and along with all the other hassles of the species require the water to meet much more strict requirements. I think the other species mentioned will do ok in clear water but perhaps i am mistaken. Still the Satanoperca seem to have a unique method of breeding.

I used to keep and breed a couple of Satanoperca. They are lovely fish. S daemon are all of that, but big. It's the size that worries me. A friend had a pair in an 8 foot tank, and they were magnificent. Plus with the eye and face shape, they look like things you could start a conversation with and learn something from. I will never get an adequate tank for them, so I'll never keep them. I've considered a smaller Satanoperca for my 120, since I now have very soft water.

The Geos prefer softer water and may not successfully breed or have as much colour in hard water. They did well in my 140ppm, pH 7.4 old house, but I am tempted in my current place with better water for them.

Well the tank i have available is 8x4; my plan was to go with mirabilis - my understnading is they will do ok in soft acidic water but do not require blackwater. Anyway - we shall see what is available.

Most reactions

Back