How Do I Check A Water Heater Still Works?

Be4st

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I know the quick way would be to plug it in and stick it in a bucket but I like my hair today. Are there any tell tale signs that the heater is broken short of dunking it in a bucket? (second hand and bought at a car-boot sale). It looks visually OK. Its just missing a plug so I have to find one somewhere and its a tad dirty.

Uh, The way you suggested is the best way, I put a bucket of water outside, stuff it in and use a very long cable into the house. 

Flip the switch and wait for a boom, If theres nothing then you should be fine. 

To be honest though, I've seen heaters crack but never in my life have I seen any blow up. There designed not too :p

Thanks dude. I'l give it a check later. Hopefully I'l be back to report on its status... lol

Yeah, that's one way of testing a heater! Lol

Check if any cracks on the glass housing, if none, chances are might be ok. If glass housing is cracked, chuck it in bin!

Fit a plug on it, put heater (set to whatever temp you want) in a bucket or container of cool water and add a thermometer BEFORE plugging heater in power socket.

Switch it on, if power does not trip off, good sign. Have a look at heater, see if a light is on to signal heater is on and heating water.

Check thermometer in half hour or hour to see if temp has risen, better yet, leave overnight to be sure temp is constant.

Job done!

Heater is dead. Used a 5 AMP fuse seeing as my current heater has one. Turned it on and no light or tick from the thing.

Ah! Happens when you buy from car boot sometimes. I bought a dud hob filter once, but only cost £2 so not really too bothered.

A bit annoying as unsure if the guy knew not working or not and still sold it anyway. I did as if working, obviously he said yes in full working order, difficult to prove in a field with no power sockets! Lol

But car boots good for bargains, bought different hob filter, a marina s10, brand new, still in packaging, with unopened filter media etc.

How much? a pound!

Got my pound out of my pocket so fast before she changed mind! Lol

Most reactions

Back