How do I change a laptop keyboard?

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows how to change the keyboard in a laptop?

My 3 year extended warranty ran out and a week later the keyboard decided to play up. Some of the keys stop working and work intermittently.

I looked on Google and YouTube and took the case apart but it's different to what they show online. If you have any ideas before I take to it with an axe, it might help.

The crappy lappy is an Asus Aspire a717-72G

I have deleted drivers and restarted the computer but it didn't help.
I have checked for newer drivers and the ones it has are the newest (Microsoft 2012).

It's getting on my nerves.

My 3 year extended warranty ran out and a week later the keyboard decided to play up. Some of the keys stop working and work intermittently.

I looked on Google and YouTube and took the case apart but it's different to what they show online. If you have any ideas before I take to it with an axe, it might help.

I have checked for newer drivers and the ones it has are the newest (Microsoft 2012).

Have you tried taking all the keys off and cleaning them and underneath I had a sticky key issue a while back and tht helped a bit I still had the odd frustrating key but on a whole worked better

Unfortunately unless you take it to get repaired it cant be changed like a computer but if you don't use the laptop on your lap and have the space on the desk get a USB keyboard and mouse and that should work

A couple years ago I ordered something like this. It was for a friend who was having an issue with her keys falling out. She said it fits right over the keyboard (of her 17 in laptop) and she set it on top when she wanted to close the laptop. Not sure if that particular one would be compatible with your system, though.

My husband's keyboard is very temperamental about n, b and space. Google shows a lot of other people who have the same laptop with the same problem and replacing the keyboard doesn't solve it. His email address contains four n's and his passwords often contain b and/or n and it can take ages to log in while trying to get the keys to work.
I finally persuaded him to use Windows 10 virtual keyboard for logging in to sites. It's slower but it does work.
Press the windows key & control & o (the letter not zero) at the same time. Assuming those are ones that do work.

Something to try while you sort out the physical keyboard.

There's nothing under the keys and it's all clean.

I need the laptop to work without a usb keyboard and mouse.

The virtual keyboard isn't going to work, I need the keyboard so I can type without a mouse.

The roll up silicon keyboard is interesting.

Most reactions

Back