How do cardinal tetras sleep?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Blackwater guru

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Recently I got my first aquarium set up which was a 140 liter aquarium and as of now I have 10 cardinal tetras along with 4 corydoras duplicareus.

My plan here later on is to add dried leaves and suitable pieces of driftwood to really recreate the natural habitat of these fish where leaf piles and driftwood is common along with tea coloured water.

I just observed my fish early in the morning and I noticed that the corydoras tend to stay fairly inactive and that they appear to be floating on the bottom as if sleeping.

The cardinal tetras on the other hand seem to be more active preferring to stay around the black background of the aquarium.

I am aware that fish do not have eyelids and that they have no rem sleep like humans.

I am wondering how they sleep because I never kept cardinals before and this aquarium is my first although I have been researching intensely for the last few months.

Recently I got my first aquarium set up which was a 140 liter aquarium and as of now I have 10 cardinal tetras along with 4 corydoras duplicareus.

My plan here later on is to add dried leaves and suitable pieces of driftwood to really recreate the natural habitat of these fish where leaf piles and driftwood is common along with tea coloured water.

I just observed my fish early in the morning and I noticed that the corydoras tend to stay fairly inactive and that they appear to be floating on the bottom as if sleeping.

The cardinal tetras on the other hand seem to be more active preferring to stay around the black background of the aquarium.

I am aware that fish do not have eyelids and that they have no rem sleep like humans.

I am wondering how they sleep because I never kept cardinals before and this aquarium is my first although I have been researching intensely for the last few months.
I’m not exactly sure how they sleep, but when I had kept them previously while they were supposedly sleeping they would very pale and their colours would fade.

I remember hearing half of a fishes brain goes to 'sleep' and the other half makes the body keep its balance.

Cory's due to their nature of staying at the bottom would look like they are sleeping in those times they want.

I have neon and glow light tetras in a well planted tank and I noticed they tend to stay around the plants like hiding or in the dark caves. My red eyed tetras seem to stay higher up in the tank and my ember tetras stay in a group at one end of the tank

I don't ever remembering hearing that Tetras sleep. I just remember them resting, or as mentioned above, half of their brain shuts down.

I don't ever remembering hearing that Tetras sleep. I just remember them resting, or as mentioned above, half of their brain shuts down.
Hard for them to sleep when they can not close their eyes so they just sit there so yes I agree with you they must be resting :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back