How Can You Tell...

fishwatcher

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
South Carolina... Smiling Faces, Beautiful Places.
if an aquarium originally had trim around the bottom of it or if it was just made without one? I am looking at a used 30g, that has trim around the top but not the bottom. Some of the silicone around the bottom is hanging off in skinny strings (kind of like what would happen if it had been slid across the floor a few times or something). The rest of it looks ok though. I am thinking I could buy some sealant just in case, but I don't want to buy it if it actually had that trim piece around the bottom, for fear that it would break.
Any suggestions?
Thanks~!

Wellif it's tempered glass like most glass comes here in america, then it should have a bottom to it that I dont know if it could be removed without ruining the tank. the purpose of the bottom trim on a tempered glass bottom tank is to keep it suspended so no pressure is exerted on it besides the inside of the tank. So if it doesnt have the bottom trim and sits on a flat surface, than its just my guess that it is untempered glass for the bottom and never had a bottom trim, or atleast a trim that normally exists on tanks you buy at the lfs that comes with a support lip.

It prob wouldnt hurt to buy a tube of silicone and run a bead around the bottom of the tank when you get it before you fill it up. And if they had it on a flat surface with the whole bottom supported, then I would just keep it the same way and not risk breaking it (obv not good with water fishies all over the floor). Idk, i guess ask them if they know whether it's tempered or not, i would hope they would.\

good luck :good:

ps... sorry... i ramble sometimes, post went way too long :lol:

I don't have a way to really find out, as the people selling it buy things from other people and re-sell them. I am planning on putting it on a stand (it's wood, actually made for a 50gal), and the stand has an opening in the center but I'm nailing a piece of 1/2" plywood over the whole top for it to rest on, then I'm putting a sheet of foam between the wood and tank. Do you think that would work?
Thanks for the help!

Ya, just assuming that if their is no skirt on the bottom to raise to bottom up then prob the bottom is untempered so would need the exact base that you are planning on doing. Sounds good :good:

Most reactions

Back