How can I tell what gender my Platies are?

Fishy Jon

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have two platies and they are both red, but I dont know how to tell male from female and I don't even know what gender(s) I have. :/

Ok, look at their vent hole. See the fin by it? If that fin looks like a paper fan, its rounded, you have a female. If the fin by teh vent is narrow and pointed and runs along teh body, you have a male. Good Luck!
Ron

Ron said:
Ok, look at their vent hole. See the fin by it? If that fin looks like a paper fan, its rounded, you have a female. If the fin by teh vent is narrow and pointed and runs along teh body, you have a male. Good Luck!
Ron
Thank's Ron I now know I have a male and a female, but i still don't know how to breed them if you can help i would appriciate it.

They are livebearers, so they breed just like your guppies. They'll have a little more fry then the guppies though.
Ron

Ron said:
They are livebearers, so they breed just like your guppies. They'll have a little more fry then the guppies though.
Ron
ron i got more questions to be answered

Ah great. 2 days ago I had 2 females and 1 male. One of my females died and I went to some other place and ask for a femal. I asked the guy in the store if he was sure it was a female...he said you cant really tell...what an idiot...now it appears I have 2 males and 1 femal in my tank...thats not good...Im never going back there again. Well, I guess I learn more as I go.

TempestBlayze said:
Ah great. 2 days ago I had 2 females and 1 male. One of my females died and I went to some other place and ask for a femal. I asked the guy in the store if he was sure it was a female...he said you cant really tell...what an idiot...now it appears I have 2 males and 1 femal in my tank...thats not good...Im never going back there again. Well, I guess I learn more as I go.
That happened to me today too. I had to teach the guy how to tell one from another. He had trouble telling apart guppies too! What a moron. He and his wife work there. His wife knows everything, but he's an idiot.

Hiya Fishy Jon,

There's a really good article here about sexing and breeding platies - has pics and everything!

Most reactions

Back