How Can I Lower My Ph, Which Is At A High 8.4?

Tyson

Reaction score
The pH of my tap water has always been 8.4. I've called the local water supplier and they say pH ranges from 8-8.8 in my area. I tested it myself and got 8.4 and went to PetsMart and got 8.4.

I want to know to lower pH without harming fish or using those crappy
"Proper pH 7.0" or "pH down" chemicals.

I heard to use peat balls or moss but I don't want my water looking like tea.

I have two pieces of driftwood in the tank already and doesn't seem to make a difference.

I also have a high KH and I'm confused what the "buffering" is.

Water parameters:
pH: 8.4
KH: >300 ppm
GH: 25 ppm

Ammo: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 30

Are you in the UK, whereabouts are you that the water has such a high pH?

I live in the USA. In California, specifically.

I've never done it (no need, the pH in my tanks is 6.0) but I believe you can lower the pH of water using a reverse osmosis system. Others would have more detail on this, I am just a basic fish-keeper.

I lowered the pH in my tanks with driftwood. It won't lower it too much but I saw a significant drop.

what are the pros and cons of lowering pH when keeping Angelfish?

Driftwood doesn't seem to work for me.

Can someone please explain "buffering"?

If that's the pH that comes out of your tap no reason to lower it. A stable pH is more important than trying to mess with it. Buffering capacity refers to water's ability to keep the pH stable.

I considered trying to lower water PH but after reading numerous things decided against it as KissFM states, it's having a stable PH thats most important.
However, if you decide too I would suggest using peat as its natural, also look at crushed sea shell & there's some form of white stone/substrate used for cichlids that I cannot for the life of me remember what it's called which will also lower PH, however this along with anything that alters PH will NEED very regular testing/changing!!!
If you search the net you will find all forms of wierd & wonderful ways to try lower PH.
Personally I wouldn't use chemicals such as PH down, etc & RO water would get it down but can be expensive & maintenance heavy.
The guy I purchased my new 5ft tank from kept discus & along with the tank came an RO unit, lots of carbon filters, lots of peat balls and various chemical PH down & PH steady so it would appear that they do work, but I suspect it takes a lot of time & commitment.
Keep us posted on how you get on.

I have heard about people using Indian Almond Leaves, as well as the obvious bogwood, and filtered peat as well to lower PH, but I think that if you do attempt these things, regular testing and possible water changes are a must. There is that backwater extract in bottle stuff, but I don't know too much about it. Bogwood and Almond leaves etc will release a bit of tannin of course, so your water could turn a bit tea coloured (which some people doing blackwater tanks like!) Here is an article about a guy that did a Cambodian setup, which is an acidic, low PH tank, but he used RO water, and this was obviously a new setup, and not an established tank.
Cambodian Blakwater

Most reactions

Back