How Can I Build Cabinet For 77x17x18 & 72x30x18

seanie112

Fish Herder
Reaction score
hi there picking up two tanks on tuesday sizes are Length x Width x Depth in inches 77x17x18 & 72x30x18 and picking up at the same time will be breeze blocks and stake posts plus got to make a lid or hood for the top tank ie 77x17x18 the way that he has it set up pics below he had one tank then a 5ft tank underneath and the other tank other side of the room in the pics below
plus we have two kids under 2years old and got to be self for them

talked to couple mates abt the set up not sure on how to go abt it could use the breeze blocks and then for self for the kids put doors on it wld like to hide the external filters and pumps and all that
the space its going in is 8ft 3 ins long on the back wall the door into th front room is on one of the side walls and the window is on the other wall it be going where we had my rena 6ft 6in tank can show u a pic of the wall its going on may be with the old tank with had there
either with both tanks or just one of them and then when we ever move set it up in shed
the hood or lid thinking of having it seating over the side as cant fill the tank up

ok i think i am confuse now my self how abt you lot
any way ill let you lot give me some ideas on it got to be the cheap way but look good
have price up the plywood thought of 'marine plywood' but looks like at b&q and wickes they do either Tropical Hardwood Ply,Hardwood Plywood,Exterior WBP Plywood,WBP Exterior Grade Plywood,Structural Spruce Plywood

anyway ill keep thinking abt it anyone have any ideas be good ill take them in

Attachments

• 97204.jpg
    97204.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 63
  • 97205.jpg
    97205.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 64
I'm struggling to fully understand what you have typed, but it appears you want som eideas on a stand to hold both tanks one above the other, am I right?

If so you will probably have a problem with the top tank having an unsupported 6 foot span. Either that or you will have a leg coming right down the middle of the bottom tank.

I suppose some huge wood like 8x3 or 8x4 should hold the weight nicely, but that will cost a fair amount.

yes m8 thats right was going to do it like he had it strenghen in the middle long ways if we cant do it ill leave either one of them and sale it but we will come to that when we need too
i thought of a wooden frame over the breeze blocks so i can put couple doors on them to hide the external filters and other things for the tank thought i ask on here as we not done this before normaly just gone out to buy a cabinet just for one

i know u can get metal stand to hold two tanks then put a wooden frame around it
sorry abt the post and spelling got wife here she says it ok iam dislexic wife not all ways here to spell for me lol

thx for your input

What kind of tool access do you have? What you might be able to do is go to the local home depot equivalant and pick up some angle iron, maybe 2-2.5 inch x 3/8" thick, and the cut a groove up the front third of your 4x4 (this would allow the iron to cover the middle of the beam) and nest it inside. If you have a circular saw, or perhaps better yet, a router, it would be pretty easy. either that or you could use a stanley 45 and get old school on it! But that should give the support you need, and you could probably tie in a few "ladder bars" to keep it tied together front to back.

edit: make the groove deeper by about a 1/4 inch to allow for wood movement as well as drainage around the metal should some water get in the groove. And of course, paint the metal well, and finish the beam, after you cut the groove, and seal in the groove as well.

all sounds good i my only now just use one of the tanks and put a 3ft tank under neath
36x12x15

i did write this out before but pc crash so got to wright it all out again but for gotton wot i wrote lol

Liters 495.54 .... 72x30x18
Length 72 (inches)
Width 30 (inches)
Height 14 (inches)

only going 14 ins high with the water is that a good idea

Liters 300.31 ... 77x17x18
Length 77 (inches)
Width 17 (inches)
Height 14 (inches)

i may just go with what tony had it set up but with the ft under neath and then put a wooden frame around with doors will still look in to it as got to sale my two coner tanks before i set this up

any more info be great thanx for all your input already on here and else where

hi every one just to let u all know we picked up the three tanks
but we had little accident with the 72x30x18 when we put the tank on its side to get it in the van we will i droped it my end cought it but cracked it onthe side and when we was getting it out to go in my flat i droped it again and it smashed the bottom end and the sides so we took it down the tip i was gutted
so only got the other 77x17x18 tank my m8 got the 5ft tank they wasnt that heavy

not happy abt it droping it twice

so going to put a 3ft tank under neath the 77x17x18 (3ft)for fry when my bristlenose L182 breed or may put some fish in there

but the wife says seeing u have the bigger tank u can close down 5 tanks then we will only have 3 tanks set up so may go bk to mallawi's again

will post a pic on here when its set up so u can all see it.

oh hope it all makes since but knowing me it doesnt ????

[URL="http://www.garf.org/"]http://www.garf.org/[/URL]

Go to DIY pages, then "Large stand plain", stick the dimensions in and it will give you a materials list and instructions :) Pretty funky tbh :D

cool m8 great web site will use that may do but will be putting a 3ft tank under neath it in the cabinet going to use as a breeding or holding tank for fry breeding group likes the dark

got to cloesed down 4 or 5 tanks now lucky enough not got much fish

hi just a update going to start this wk end to do my cabinet to fit around the breeze blocks for my new tank my wife and kids are away next wk so i have to stay home and feed the fish (fish tanks x8 and look after the dog hard life lol.
so going to set up my tank 77x17x18 going to use breeze blocks and going to build the cabinet to go around it my brother in law is a builder so hes going to make it this wkend hopefully will try and take pics of it as we start newton is coming over on friday to o thru what i wld like the cabinet to look like it will be so i can fit my eheim pro 3 filter in one side easy to get it out and clean it when needed and some shelfs and there and if poss to fit a 3ft tank or a 2ft tank in side hope this all makes since to u all will update again when i know whats happening

update to day monday 13th of oct

tank is set up just adding the water from my corner tank its half full of water at the moment cabinet going to be build around it some time this wk from wall to wall going to have a 3ft tank under neath here's some pics that i just take will add more some time this wk
let me know wot u think

Attachments

• th_101_0426.jpg
    th_101_0426.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 56
  • th_101_0427.jpg
    th_101_0427.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 63
  • th_101_0428.jpg
    th_101_0428.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 58
  • th_101_0429.jpg
    th_101_0429.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 57
  • th_101_0430.jpg
    th_101_0430.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 54
its getting there slowly and i mean slowly i am no good in diy so my brother in law is doning it i am helping him but hes so slowly in coming up here on weds he didnt get here in to 2pm and he left at 5pm oh never mind if its not done by the time the kids and wife comes home on friday morning will have fun trying to keep my little boy away from it all hes only 11 mths old and my daughter is 23 mths old be fun keeping them away from it lol

Hi looks good, one suggestion, noticed that the pipes on your eheim 2080 have lots of slack in them. This is not a problem, but you would find that if you cut the hoses down so that they are shorter, you will find you will get a higher flow from the filter. :good:

Most reactions

Back