How big should the tank be for these?

Also just youtube "bettas natural habitat" to visually see their diverse natural environments that expand far beyond the tiny puddles of water that they are usually forced to live in in captivity.

This website is well known as being the most accurate one out there. read what it says under 'behaviour and compatibility'

From the Betta splendens care sheet on here

Bettas are territorial, solitary fish, and do not get lonely. They are perfectly happy -- and actually prefer -- to live alone in their tank.

If you wish to keep a betta with other fish, that is your choice. But members should be warned that it can turn into a disaster, then they can make up their own minds.

I concur...

Many of those websites are inaccurate. I would say 8/100 betta/community tanks actually work out.

I have tried it before I came to TFF, and it didn’t work. The fish that were in the tank with the betta, kept nipping at the bettas fins. The betta in turn would chase them, and essentially, in the end both fish were destroyed.

If you want a more peaceful betta that may tolerate tankmates...

Betta imbellis

Granted, you must have soft water, BUT...

20 gallon LONG minimum
GH up to 145ppm

2-3 betta imbellis (1 male 2 female)
6-9 pangio seminica (kuhli loach) or pangio oblonga (java loach)

OR

You can have water GH up to 215ppm
20 gallon long

3-5 sparkling gourami
6-10 hovering zebra loach

Sparkling gouramis are great alternatives to bettas, they can do some tankmates like microrasboras or ember tetras. They got that same skulk and investigate everything type personality bettas do, but act a bit more wild.

I would say 8/100 betta/community tanks actually work out.
I'd be interested to see some data to back that up.
I have tried it before I came to TFF, and it didn’t work. The fish that were in the tank with the betta, kept nipping at the bettas fins. The betta in turn would chase them, and essentially, in the end both fish were destroyed.
You added a single black skirt to a tank with a betta did you not? As well as emperor tetras, a fish that can be nippy? The result of that was not the fault of the fish involved, but due to the wrong fish being stocked.
Sparkling gouramis are great alternatives to bettas, they can do some tankmates like microrasboras or ember tetras. They got that same skulk and investigate everything type personality bettas do, but act a bit more wild.
I would second sparkling gouramis. Very beautiful, similar shape to bettas and fun to keep. Personally, I found them to be more rewarding to keep than bettas.

I would second sparkling gouramis. Very beautiful, similar shape to bettas and fun to keep. Personally, I found them to be more rewarding to keep than bettas.
I adore mine! I've got a trio along with about 100 fry right now haha
Underrated fish, and they can be just as curious with their keepers as bettas too.

Mom (a little nipped because when spawning they can be feisty)
20200809_142745.jpg

And a young daughter here.
20200821_113204.jpg

I'd be interested to see some data to back that up.

You added a single black skirt to a tank with a betta did you not? As well as emperor tetras, a fish that can be nippy? The result of that was not the fault of the fish involved, but due to the wrong fish being stocked.

Yes I did.

You may have some different opinions than most here... I personally don’t believe bettas should be kept with any other fish. That is just my opinion...

I adore mine! I've got a trio along with about 100 fry right now haha
Underrated fish, and they can be just as curious with their keepers as bettas too.

Mom (a little nipped because when spawning they can be feisty)
View attachment 113712

And a young daughter here.
View attachment 113711
Just stunning! Their blue eyes are very striking and the red on the fins is so lovely. Very underrated indeed.
You may have some different opinions than most here... I personally don’t believe bettas should be kept with any other fish. That is just my opinion...
That's fine, and I respect that. Nothing wrong with different opinions

Most reactions

Back