How Big Does A Bgkf

my LFS had a beautiful 15" bgk in a few weeks ago, they rescued it from someone who couldn't afford a large enough tank to keep it in, it was bossing a large oscar around in a big display tank :D

mine has reached around 7" now, although he seems ok in my 60 gallon for the moment i will be upgrading to a 6x2x2 (or a 6x3x2 if i can find one at the right price) in the next couple of months.

I lost my ghost knife a few months back and he was 14" TL and I got him at 3" in 1999.

I'd be careful about phrasing this issue in such a way it suggests a knifefish "grows small" because of its small tank. It's perhaps better to say that since most people keep these knifefish in tanks that are too small, their fish don't grow much before they die. Despite the myth, few fish "grow to the size of their tank", and in most cases, undersized fish are merely unhealthy fish. People who keep these fish alive for a proper length of time, well over ten years, generally have knifefish that are much bigger than eight inches.

Cheers, Neale

in average they probs do reach 8" mark , i mean most people keep them in too small tanks so they will grow small.

I'd be careful about phrasing this issue in such a way it suggests a knifefish "grows small" because of its small tank. It's perhaps better to say that since most people keep these knifefish in tanks that are too small, their fish don't grow much before they die. Despite the myth, few fish "grow to the size of their tank", and in most cases, undersized fish are merely unhealthy fish. People who keep these fish alive for a proper length of time, well over ten years, generally have knifefish that are much bigger than eight inches.

Cheers, Neale

in average they probs do reach 8" mark , i mean most people keep them in too small tanks so they will grow small.

Wholehartedly agree. In fact knifey lived the first couple of years in a 30 gal tank and still managed a good 8" before I moved him to the 80gal.

My BGK is 10-12" at the moment,grew him from a tiny baby.Hes in a well filtered 55 Gal tank (will be upgraded) with a Parrot,breeding pair of Thorichtys ellioti,large albino senegal,channa "assam",5" Dat polota,and 4 big clown loach.He rules his end of the tank,but with no aggression.Feeds well on prawns,bloodworm and hikari cichlid gold.Good flow in the tank,with 50% water change weekly,filtration 405 and 305 canisters,with a UV (as a whitespot precaution when the fish were new).My favourite fish by far.

Most reactions

Back