House Bunny?

lilacamy931

Starting again
Reaction score
Anyone got good tips or website links for house bunny and a general setup of needs and necessities?

Many thanks :)

I had one, and I loved her. Sorry I can't give very much info atm cuz I have to go to bed, but here goes. Their diets should be supplemented with fruits, vegetables, and hay (not straw). Bunnies are not taught to use a litter box by their moms like cats are, so you do have to train them, but it isn't too hard. I just used a tuberware (sp?) box as a litter pan. You can use cat litter, but make sure it is not the clumping kind. Your rabbit might ingest the litter and it could clump inside his digestive system and harm him. Also avoid using pine and cider chips for bedding or litter. Both contain aromatic oils that can damage a bunnies respiratory system. You can use Aspen chips though. Newspaper can be used, but it doesn't absorb the smell very well. When bunny makes an accident make sure to clean it up asap, because their urine can be hard to get out after it dries. You can also use the urine soaked paper towel to aid in the training. Put it in his litter box. The smell of his urine in his box will prompt him to go there.

I had a house bunny, he was an absolutely stunning little sod!

Personally, i would advise you NOT to go for the more active species of house bunny, mine was a Black Otter Rex, i would go for the smaller species like Lop Eared Dwarf and Netherland Dwarf and Lionheads.

Henna was really bably behaved, made me appreciate how much damage a house bunny can do!

*Stick to one room and not the whole house

*Still get as big a cage as possible, Henna had a Nero 3 but was growing out of it, i also had to get a padlock because she could let herself out!

*Lots of good quality food, try getting your bunny from a breeder and ask them what they feed, when Henna was a youngster i gave her an unnamed brand from my LFS that was full of everything and had some mollasses in and she grew like a weed!

*Prepare to be eaten out of house and home! Best quality hay and it will eat tonnes of the stuff! Fresh vegetables every day like carrots, beans, broccolli, cauliflower etc, in the summber handfulls of grass and dandelion leaves. I also found that when Henna was young, she enjoyed the occasional treat of Bran Mash as well, you can buy bran cheaply from a petshop and mix with hot water until like porridge.

*Get all your jabs! Just because its an indoor bunnyy, doesnt mean i shouldnt have its injections, just sk your vet which ones are necessary and make sure you do register with the vet ASAP in case you have an emergency.

*RABBIT PROOF YOUR HOUSE!!!!

If you have cables in the room, they WILL be chewed through! That is why i had to let Henna go, she was chewing through the bars on each cage i got her and getting out. She also kept managing to get into shut rooms (beyond me!) and dstroyed a very expensive computer, the printer, the sub, the speakers, the heatmats for all my reptiles, my lamps and thats before she got into my housemates room too!

Any cables you cant get off the floor, get some tough tubing to cover them, like pond filter hosing, suction hose is stronger. Keep the floor as bear as possible and keep a litter tray in one corner of the room, rabbits will usually pee in the corner. I found the easiest way to train to pee in litter tray was to put a towel in the corner for her to pee on and gradually put the tray there with the towel in then took away the towel over the period of 2-3 weeks.

Here are a couple of photos of Henna and Fen(ugreek) her sister.

kittensandbunnies302.jpg

kittensandbunnies312.jpg

kittensandbunnies319.jpg

Aw isnt Henna wonderful, she sound the absolute bomb at escaping. Your tips are great and very much appreciated. Still collating info and will go to the landlord with plans in place. We had a lop earred bunny before as said and he never chewed and was brilliant, though each one is different. We probably will contain to the one room to lower the damage. The room in mind wouldnt have any cables or wires of any sorts so that should be good!

Most reactions

Back