Hot Weather

Night61

Fish Herder
Reaction score
the heaters have been unplugged until the tempature drops. but both tanks are still in the high 80's and five gallon tanks are hard to move. (not only that my options of places to put them are very limited.

i need some options in how to help my bettas beat the summer time heat. i have a fan on there tanks and have both lids up to air out the tanks a little more, not open enough that the little rascals will try to jump out though.

any suggestions?

As long as the tank temps dont reach above 82* you should be fine. I'm not sure how you would go about cooling them down however, if they did reach above.

i just unplugged mine. they might need cooling down tomorrow. it's supposed to hit 97 tomorrow in NYC

you must live pretty close to me, well heater should turn off once the tank heats up naturaly, I have been keeping an eye on mine and if the water temp gets up to 90 I am just going to unplug heaters and check temps again this evening.

as I said in another thread the heat wont hurt them if you make sure the tank is shaded...not near a window or in a room with tons of windows. my tanks are in the basement...which can get very cool during the evening, I am just going to be keeping on eye on temps realy.

poor bettas both there tanks are in the high 80's how do i bring my tank temp down with out shocking the poor little things.

also i may have to use this suggestion for the little guppy too

I know this isn't helpful, but...

Turn on the A/C! 90 degrees in your house is WAYYYYY too hot. I'd die!! ;)

Really though, it's probably not the best for small tanks like that, but they do make chillers for aquariums.

I know this isn't helpful, but...

Turn on the A/C! 90 degrees in your house is WAYYYYY too hot. I'd die!! ;)

Really though, it's probably not the best for small tanks like that, but they do make chillers for aquariums.

i don't even have ac for myself, not in my room nor my car, i am dying. but i have places to go to get cool, they are stuck in there little tanks. i am actually not so worried about the bettas because they probally have a high heat tolerance due to the nature. its the new little guppy who may be having a hard time.

Why not check out craigslist or freecycle for a used window ac for the room they're in? Surely that'd be reasonably priced, if not free.

You could get a pop bottle fill it with water and freeze it then pop it in the tank

how about doin a few water changes,taking out some of the warm water and replacing it with fresh cold water should bring the temp down
its only a short term idea tho

i second the idea about freezing a bottle of water

Nobody has mentioned if their fish are actually suffering....how do they cool their holding tanks down in the blazing heat of singapore. How do they cool the paddyfields of south east Asia down in the scorching tropical temperatures where fighters originate from ????????

My koi pond in the UK is 24 degrees at present and that's with an outside temp of 26....i would imagine it gets a lot warmer where fighters are bred in Thailand etc.

FWIW, my fighters are in the conservatory which despite a large fan blasting away is still 31 C...just checked fish tank temps and they're running at 29-30C and fish seem active and pretty happy. I currently have 3 batches of babies on the go and they're growing well with zero losses.

Don't forget that most tropical freshwater fish are quite capable of taking extremes of temperatures better than their saltwater cousins. Rainy and dry seasons bring fluctuating temps, ponds and pools evaporate leaving less water which heats up quicker....and then cools rapidly when the rains come. Despite being bred commercially for many years, most fish never lose this natural instinct to survive extremes and we sometimes need to look back to nature to see how these fish live.

Just my humble opinion.

how about doin a few water changes,taking out some of the warm water and replacing it with fresh cold water should bring the temp down
its only a short term idea tho

i second the idea about freezing a bottle of water

i threw some ice cubes into both tanks, jasper stayed away, but rayne chased them around her tank until they melted. she is one weird little fish.

andyj is right, bettas are fine when it gets warm like this...as long as they are not sitting on a window bakingin the sun they will be fine.

my fish have actualy been enjoying the heat it seems, they all have heaters so they dont get a chill, but my fish Tweek is acting happier then I have ever see him, 90 in the house...ahhhhh.

at least someone is enjoying the heat. I have taken to hiding in the rooms with ac and staying out of the rest of the house.

andyj is right, bettas are fine when it gets warm like this...as long as they are not sitting on a window bakingin the sun they will be fine.

my fish have actualy been enjoying the heat it seems, they all have heaters so they dont get a chill, but my fish Tweek is acting happier then I have ever see him, 90 in the house...ahhhhh.

at least someone is enjoying the heat. I have taken to hiding in the rooms with ac and staying out of the rest of the house.
well i suppose someone has to be enjoying this heat lol.

i am actually more worried about the new guppy then the bettas

Most reactions

Back