Hospital Tank Support

CameraGeek

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just a query. I have decided to buy a small hospital tank now I have one medium community tank and one large.
It's been up and running for a week and the test is as follows:

PH 7.6
Ammonia 0 - 0.25 (colour was between the two)
Nitrite 2
Nitrate 0

As a fishless tank how do I keep it running at levels similar to my communities so it will be pristine in case of emergencies?

Your advice is much appreciated.

make sure you add a source of ammonia to keep the bacteria in the filter fed

I don't keep my hospital tank running all the time, I set it up when needed and fill it with water from a main tank and put filter media in the internal filter from the main tanks external filter.

^ This! It's really not worth keeping a hospital tank set up all the time; anyway, almost inevitably, you'll end up putting fish in it, because it's there, and a waste to run it empty, and soon enough you'll just have 'another tank', and not a hospital ;)

^ This! It's really not worth keeping a hospital tank set up all the time; anyway, almost inevitably, you'll end up putting fish in it, because it's there, and a waste to run it empty, and soon enough you'll just have 'another tank', and not a hospital ;)

Emo you are so right!! Went to the aquatic centre this morning and asked as above and was recommended to keep just one fish and a plant in there to mature it. It's now sporting a lovely plant and fab common plec. *sigh* the tanks just keep expanding... 3 now and we only have one room. Need to buy a house soon to house the fish, never mind us and the dogs!!!

Jo :)

*fluttermoth sorry, got your name wrong, I'm only just getting use to the wallpaper round here lol!

Thanks everyone else too :)

Most reactions

Back