Horrible Incident!

JJ56

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

Today I moved my tank from the living room up to my bedroom. Took all day, got the tank all set up and up to temperature. Acclimatised my inverts and fish (clown and a bicolour angel) then went to net them out of the bucket they were in and put them in their new home.

Clown went in no problems, but then; disaster. Netted the Bicolor, quickly transferred him to the tank. Except, he was trapped in the net! One of the thin fins below his mouth; like 0.4mm thin had went through the thin mesh of the net, and he couldn't swim free. He was trapped by the head in the end of the net.

This was so distressing for me, and especially for him. He was trapped not able to move for about 10 minutes whilst I battled to seperate him from the net (I hoped he could free himself with a little help) In the end, to save his life I had to actually grab the fish with my hand, and unthread his fin from the net. (not for the squeemish, he was kicking like mad)

He shot off into the liverock, and is hiding. He hasn't ventured out, and I don't blame him. He's going to be very stressed, on top of moving to a new aquascape. I'll update with his health as soon as I can.

Now, I know this is obviously a very rare occurance, but I urge extra care to anyone using nets to catch marine fish. In the future, it's going to be fish traps and tubs. This was awful. :(

JJ

It's not a rare occurrence, actually. This is why you are never suppose to use nets on marine fish. I have caught thousands (at least) fish because of my work and we NEVER use a net with marine and even with freshwater I try to never use a net when possible because they tend to get stuck too. Whenever possible try to use a plastic carrier or even a cup or anything besides a net really.

I hate nets.

Just keep an eye on him as you are and if he's a healthy fish he should be OK.

Thanks guys.

Fish has recovered well, is swimming happily around the new setup showing no adverse effects.

Must admit, all of my local lfs use nets for their marine fish, this is why I never thought much of using one, until now.

I'm glad he has recovered, and I will not be using a net in the future.

Thanks, JJ

Thanks guys.

Fish has recovered well, is swimming happily around the new setup showing no adverse effects.

Must admit, all of my local lfs use nets for their marine fish, this is why I never thought much of using one, until now.

I'm glad he has recovered, and I will not be using a net in the future.

Thanks, JJ

Glad to hear :good:
Your LFS uses nets? :crazy: I'd be careful when buying fish from them just to be sure the fish aren't be harmed in the process.

Thanks, yeah fish is now back to normal :good:

Yeah, they use nets; but they are a very reputable and professional outfit, so I expect they use very fine nets, not of the same quality I used.

Thanks to everyone, lesson learned; no harm done (fortunatly!) :blush:

JJ

if you dont use a net then how are you suppose the add the fish for the first time without getting the dealers water in your tank

i dont see the harm in nets, alot easier to catch with and the tmc nets are very good i don't think ive seen an angel, tang caught in them and even used on pimpictus they seem to do the job.

if you dont use a net then how are you suppose the add the fish for the first time without getting the dealers water in your tank

Whatever I am acclimating the animal/s in, when they are finished I remove all of the water from the container they're in and then place them in the tank.

Ive been in a lot of lfs in England, not one of them used anything other than a net to catch fish - maybe its a country thing!

Seffie x

I work at a LFS, and I've caught thousands of fish with nets. TBH, the ones that usually get caught are feeder fish, but otherwise it's VERY rare to have a fish stuck in the net (other than catfish, which I always catch in a cup). Catfish just stick their barbs into nets on purpose :p

Hope your fish feels better soon!

in my experience in the industry I always used nets. However most people use those cheap coloured nets that the holes are quite large on. I always used to prefer the black/white nets that were made of much stiffer and finer netting, meaning the fish are much less likely to get tangled up in the material and pierce it with their fins..

Ben

Happened to me once...

i dont use cheap nets anymore...wasnt even my fish. its my mates, gorgeous coral beauty. The biggest one ive ever seen. Id have been gutted if id had to tell my mate it didnt make it.

Most reactions

Back