Hornwort - snails and some other bugs come with parcel. Concern?

Dave_davis1987

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I bought some hornwort off eBay to put in my tank, there’s a few snails come and other bugs in the bag with it, should I be concerned? Any recommended ways of treating it before it goes into my tank?
Seller confirmed it’s come out of his pond.

Uk here, so not sure if we have any bad snails here, but just anxious about introducing parasites.

Thanks!
Dave
C6117605-4F8B-4B8A-8A06-D2B8F1E9901A.jpeg

The snails... no. Unless you dint want them in your tank, then you can remove them.

I would be concerned about the bugs...

Any chance of a close up of one?

I don’t mind the snails, my puffer will like those. Just don’t want to bring disease into the tank, I’m sure I read snails are notorious transmitters / good hosts.
I put the plants in a cut open water bottle for now to try and see what else comes out.
This looks like a leech
76ECEA2F-456F-4F64-BB53-0DCE3E508FDA.jpeg

Not sure what this is
1CAEE2B5-FE53-4931-AA39-98AB788E75B0.png

Will ‘washing’ the plants before they go into the aquarium be a good idea?

Do a water change and put some of the dirty tank water into a bucket. leave the plants in there for a bit of time and give them a bit of a shake down to try and wash off what you can. I don't tend to wash mine in tap water as the Chlorine isn't great and the colder water can be a shock for plants, but being exposed for a short time wouldn't hurt.

There is no danger to using tap water with chlorine (or chloramine if you have that added) for plants. And it might even benefit...the chlorine/chloramine is added to the tap water to kill bacteria, and this cannot hurt any plants. I have a 20g quarantine tank for new fish acquisitions; it is planted and runs permanently. It can go for months without any fish in it, and during those periods I do major water changes using tap water without a dechlorinator. It will not harm the plants (chjlorine is actually a plant nutrient, though excessive levels could harm them) and for all I know it may make the tank more safe.

But the real problem here is that pathogens in local waterways including a backyard pond will be temperate species, and these can vary from those found in the tropical waters. And the problem with this is that fish from the tropics are not prepared to battle different pathogens from those they have evolved to deal with.

Now, I am not saying any of those "bugs" are killers, or disease-ridden...but you/we don't know that. And there is no method of ensuring all pathogens/parasites/micro whatever are killed; any solution strong enough to actually kill these will also harm if not kill the plants.

Like @Byron I wash out my plants in tap water for the very same reason. If you get a mayfly or dragonfly nymph you could have real problem. I had one and it killed 6 ghost shrimp before I found the little @#%$^%$ and killed it. They are hard to spot so now I let my plants sit in buckets for at least a week. I also check them a couple of time for bugs during this time. I also give them a good dose of flourish.

Thanks, I’ll put them in a bucket of tap water for a few days and see what dies.
I guess the lesson learnt is not to buy plants off the internet / eBay!

I would quarantine the plants and wash them well

Most reactions

Back