Honey Gourami Help Please

CheniseMummy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello Yesterday i cleaned out my fish tank and took out some over growing plants and changed some water my ph of tank is around 6.5- 7 so i only change 10L its a 125l tank as my tap water is 7.5. i also cleaned out the big filter in my tank fluval 3+

Today its eyes looks a little bulgy and maybe pine coning or i could be over anayising it. Here are some pics. ive started on a course of melafix.

its a little jumpy but that might be coz i took away some of its cover and floating plants. eating fine.

The stats are all O apart from nitrate.

Ive added melafix and Tropica nutrition plus two days ago.

here are some pics.
015-1.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

006.jpg

I'm afraid thats dropsy. I've lost two Honey Gourami's because of it.

Im afraid it's very hard to cure, but not impossible. Salt baths are usually recommended a couple of times a day for 30 seconds or so. They are supposed to reduce the swelling or draw the fluids out of the fish, I have never tried the salt baths though, so hopefully someone who has could comment after me.

Good luck :good:

James.

Thanks im going to move him to a smaller tank, could i just add the epsom salts to the smaller tank its 15L or do i need to do it somewhere else.

That would be fine, but a lot of the time people do the salt baths in glasses or big bowls for like I said 30-60 seconds. No longer, so if you treat him in the tank he will reside in the salts will be around him too long. But, a 15l hospital is a very good idea for him :good:

Im not sure on which salts would be best, either Epsom or standard Aquarium. I'm sure someone will help with this one :good:

James.

Do you have anything in the tank that lowers ph, like bogwood etc.

Popeye is closely related to dropsy due to the build up of fluids.

Once scales stick out it's the last stage or dropsy organ failure. Once this happens the fish rarely make it.

All you can do is epson salt baths to help draw the fluids out.
Internal bacteria med.

Melafix is no good. it's only good on cuts and wounds.

ive bogwood and co2, also my heater has failed only just noticed. ive some anti internal bac med as well.

What to do for my other fishes, couple of rasboro look bug eyed. im thinking my heater failure has caused this. its eats so well.

ive bogwood and co2, also my heater has failed only just noticed. ive some anti internal bac med as well.

What to do for my other fishes, couple of rasboro look bug eyed. im thinking my heater failure has caused this. its eats so well.

If its dropsy the odds are it wont make it through it. Monitor it closely and if the fish shows further signs of illness then you may need to consider euthanasia for the poor fish. Heater failure wouldnt of caused this,its an internal organ failure.It isnt likely to spread either. What are your water parameters.

Gavin

Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 nitrate 25, ph 7, not got test for anything else.

The fish is ok in itself no probems the scales have turned more sunken in all over it body as each day passes, few other fish are now bug eyes have done med of anti internal bac yesterday. Not done the salt bath as think it will probably just stress it out and it wont let me catch it.

Im going to give the gravel a good clean this evening and remove the bogwwod to do underneth it.

I would double dose the anti internal bacteria med by interpet.

One thing will my shrimp be damaged by the treatment at all ive chery and amano

It's best to isolate inverts when treating a tank.
Or isolate the sick fish.
As some bacterial meds have parasite meds in them.

Most reactions

Back