Homemade Glass Aqua.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

attack

Reaction score
I am thinking about building a GIANT tank in a spear room, I am wondering what is the maximum size of a glass tank that will support the water. Now to make that clearer, if I make a very large tank, what is the true maximum for a single pane of glass. The front panel I am scared may shatter after a certain size. I know I coud split it with supports but would rather not.
Thnoughts???

Zac

The tank volume will be determined by the thickness and also the height of the glass that you use, do a google for......glass thickness aquarium......and you will find what you need to know.

I'm pretty sure for the size I want to make it, I would need 20mm thick glass. Thats really expensive isn't it????
Does anyone know a glass store?

And thx for the response zig...
Zac

I would imagine that 20mm glass is quite expensive...and without knowing where you are, we can't really help with a glass supplier! ;)

nodding_dino said:
I would imagine that 20mm glass is quite expensive...and without knowing where you are, we can't really help with a glass supplier! ;)
[snapback]871646[/snapback]​

LOL srry bout that, I hope that helps!

Zac

I work in a glass factory in Northern Ireland and I can tell you straight off 20mm glass will cost you an arm and a leg if you don't know someone in the trade.
I don't know the size of tank you are attempting to build only that it is huge. I would seek some advice first at a public aquaria or similar establishment before you take on this venture. ( I don't mean to sound like I'm putting you off, far from it, I only mean to do a lot of homework first) The weight of the glass alone nevermind the water/decor will be collosal. Then there's the bonding of the panes together, What type of silicone will be strong enough to hold the pressure etc. etc.
Theres a calculator somewhere on the web whereby you type in your tank size and all the values come out. Can't think where it is at the moment maybe some of the other members can help on this.
Regards
BigC

Had to change the dimension, wanted it 4' (H) 2.5' (W) and 6' (L) But the height can only be up to 3'. So heres the output info.

Tank Information:
Material = Glass
Tank Height = 36"
Tank Width = 30"
Tank Length = 72 "
Glass Thickness = 1/2"
Approximate Gallons = 337

Cut List:
Bottom = 71 " x 29"
Front = 72 " x 36"
Back = 72 " x 36"
2 Sides = 36 " x 29"
Top Front/Back brace = 71 " x 2"
Top Sides brace = 29 " x 2"

Thats a really useful calculator. And It will be on a basement level (concrete floor) so it should work, not sure if I will build it, it really all depends on price.

Thx
Zac

For really big tanks, a more economical approach is to build the basic tank with marine grade plywood, and use glass only for the sides that need to be transparent. If you search the board, you'll find other threads about large tank projects.

attack said:
Had to change the dimension, wanted it 4' (H) 2.5' (W) and 6' (L) But the height can only be up to 3'. So heres the output info.

Tank Information:
Material = Glass
Tank Height = 36"
Tank Width = 30"
Tank Length = 72 "
Glass Thickness = 1/2"
Approximate Gallons = 337

Cut List:
Bottom = 71 " x 29"
Front = 72 " x 36"
Back = 72 " x 36"
2 Sides = 36 " x 29"
Top Front/Back brace = 71 " x 2"
Top Sides brace = 29 " x 2"

Thats a really useful calculator. And It will be on a basement level (concrete floor) so it should work, not sure if I will build it, it really all depends on price.

Thx
Zac
[snapback]872289[/snapback]​

In the UK you would not find a manufacturer who would make a tank at 36 inches high in 12mm (!/2in) glass. The specification would be 15mm glass. With 30 years experience of tank manufacturing, I would not sleep well at night with that size tank in 12mm glass.
Keith

Most reactions

Back