Hob Filter Placement?

cryosniper

Reaction score
I plan to go pickup some moneywort to stick in the back corners of my 29g because all my other plants are a bit low. I wanna get some height in there, however, I was wondering about my HOB filter, which is an Aqueon 30. It's currently on the left side of the tank and my heater is placed horizontally at the bottom center of the tank. Would sticking some moneywort right next to the filter impede the filtration any? Would the constant flow/suction affect the moneywort? I figured a way to maybe solve this would be to move my filter to the center of my tank. This way my heater would be directly below my filter, so I would possibly have better heat circulation? Or would this leave me with dead spots in my tank? Sorry for slamming you guys with questions, just want to get this right :look:

As long as the plant isn't getting sucked into the filter and blocking the water then it will be fine. What size tank do you have? I'm usually a big fan of having a filter on each side of my tank.

I've got a 29 gallon. When I go get the moneywort later today I'll have to stick it in and see what happens.

It really depends on your stock and how the filter you have now is doing, however right now you have the bare minimum when it comes to filtration for a 29. I keep larger fish and larger tanks and I believe strongly in over filtering all my tanks. If I had a 29 which I do but there empty I would have a emperor 400 or two smaller filters but thats just me.

Yeah, I've got the bare minimum right now because all thats in there are 4 black neon tetras. As far as deadzones and heating goes, placing the filter in the middle of the tank with the heater right underneath is ok?

Dead zones are inevitable. The best you can do is minimize them. If your overly worried about dead zones, look into the tank and see if you see any detris sitting in one spot of the tank. If you do, then buy a cheap air pump and put an air stone near there to help keep water moving. I personally don't stress too much about it, and the same with the heater. The heater will gradually make it's way through the tank.

Dead zones are inevitable. The best you can do is minimize them. If your overly worried about dead zones, look into the tank and see if you see any detris sitting in one spot of the tank. If you do, then buy a cheap air pump and put an air stone near there to help keep water moving. I personally don't stress too much about it, and the same with the heater. The heater will gradually make it's way through the tank.

Not necessarily I have seen a set up that had no dead spots.

Correction, if you have a lot of filters ( or over filter), power heads ect., then you will not have dead spots. But, in the average aquarists tank, there will be dead spots. Fish weren't mean't to be kept in tanks. Putting a filter into a square thing of water will leave dead spots.

Correct I was just letting the OP know that it is possible to get rid of all dead spots. :good:

Had I bought the filter separately, I would have sprang for something larger, but I bought an Aqueon combo pack type thing from Petco. Came with the tank, hood, filter, heater and some other small things. I'm definitely looking into something bigger, just not right this minute.

Most reactions

Back