Hmpk X Hm

StarChildren

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
ok, heres the male - he's a hmpk, more pastel shade then it shows in the photo
osirisflaring.jpg

and heres the female - she's a hm, and more blue/green then it shows in the photo
cp.jpg

i decided to condition these two and get them ready for breeding (i just got them, but they settled right into there new homes). now, what i was curious about, since the female is hm and the male carries the hm gene, is it more likely to get more hm offspring then hmpk? and as for colors, i was thinking, some would look like dad, some like mom, some marble from them...am i correct in thinking this?

Long fins are dominant over short fins, so all of the offspring will have long fins but they might be shortened a little bit by the PK. Did that make any sense? lol

Does the male have both red and blue on him? You'll probably get multis, some with more red and some with more blue.

I'm going to start conditioning my new fish tomorrow. We should breed them at the same time, for moral support.

Long fins are dominant over short fins, so all of the offspring will have long fins but they might be shortened a little bit by the PK. Did that make any sense? lol

Does the male have both red and blue on him? You'll probably get multis, some with more red and some with more blue.

I'm going to start conditioning my new fish tomorrow. We should breed them at the same time, for moral support.

he has all types of colors in him. kind of a bf look to him. white on the ends of all his fins, with purple n blue n red (there all pastel shades but still distinctly visible). and the girl is a beautiful turquoise color when the light hits her just right.
i started conditioning mine today cuz they settled in so well... and i know this is gonna sound weird but its how i did it with the other ones... i put her in half of the tank and him in the other half to condition them while they can see each other. by the time there conditioned he normally has a nest built and she is all stripy and bloated. worked good for conditioning with the others and seems to be working with them too. yea, moral support...we're probably gonna need it lol. :crazy:

oh, and yea, that did make sense, shortened a lil by the plaket with long fins being dominant

That sounds like a good way to condition them! I usually let them see each other for an hour a day while conditioning but some people let them see each other all the time. It's an art, not a science... whatever works best for you! And you can definitely start right away, you just might have to do it a little longer than usual since the fish are usually pretty hungry after being shipped.

Yeah, I think you'll get a whole mix of colors from them. They should have pretty nice fins, because it looks like both your fish have a lot of branching.

ok, just an update.
this pair was starting to go different then my other. she was getting really bloated n stripy already. both of them were still eating when i fed them, but she was still getting to show a lot of readiness to breed. so i stuck her in with another female to give her some cool off time because i knew i hadn't conditioned them long enough. after supper, went back to check on them and cleopatra was trying to wrap the female and get the other female to wrap her back. so i took her out and threw her in with osiris (i thought, ok, if this isn't a sign when a female is trying to do a female, nothing is). she fallowed him around immediately like a little puppy dog on a leash, all over the tank she fallowed him for about 5 minutes. then they got right down to business under the nest.

heres some photos:

wrapping
wrappingmore.jpg

wrapping2.jpg

falling eggs
fallingeggs.jpg

eggsfalling.jpg

cleopatra picking the eggs up
eggsbeingpickedup.jpg

and the nest with eggs in it (crappy photo, i know, doesn't really show them, but they can be seen with the naked eye n i watched them blow them in there, so i know there, there)
eggsinnest.jpg

funny thing? this guy was lucky to catch half the eggs that fell and refused to pick them up off the bottom of the tank. my female ended up picking them all up off the bottom. he would wrap, catch what he saw falling, start working on placing them in the nest, she would get un-parallelized and go down and scavenge the bottom picking up 10-16 eggs at a time and putting them up in the nest, he would reposition them and the process started over.
they went at this for about an hour or so before she swam off and hid. when she did that, all her breeding stripes started to fade and he chased her a bit, i took her out. i fed her a mix of things and put a grain of sea salt in with her to help heal up her fins...she ate like a pig. and i gave him a little more food as well, he went over n looked at it, then ignored it and sat under the nest.

we have babys...here's some photos i got this morning, they're tiny. i circled the babies (maybe a bubble or two as well, but as i'm sure we all know, it's hard to photograph just hatched babies). :D
Project9.jpg

Project10.jpg

Project12.jpg

osiris is being a good daddy, so far (fingers crossed). :unsure:

and here is some video i just got...took it with my phone, so it's crappy, but still...
[URL="http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y78/Iskag...ideo-0001-2.flv"]http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y78/Iskag...ideo-0001-2.flv[/URL]
http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y78/Iskag...ideo-0002-2.flv

It's pretty common for the male to only catch the falling eggs, and for the female to gather the others. Every female I've had that gathered eggs ATE the stupid things, so you got lucky with yours.

Congratulations on the babies!

Most reactions

Back