Hitchiker Crab Id?

Riggs

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've picked up a crab as part of my liverock... all i can say is he's dark coloured black/brown with hairy legs and spotted him today in what seemed to be attacking my hermit crabs whilst they were attacking eachother!
Thing is I'm not entirely confident about him but he's quick and it would result in me upsetting my whole setup so I was wondering if there was any quick/easy way of catching the little blighter without ripping my tank apart and upsetting everything in it?
He's getting alot more confident lately - last few weeks as soon as he spots me he runs... Anyhow - here's a pic :unsure:
Cheers
R

Attachments

• crab.jpg
    crab.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 55
I personally would trap him, does not look like a good crab at all to me. Eyes look red and that is not a good sign, tend to grow into fish eaters.

Trim top off a small coke bottle, turn upside down and slip into the bottom bit, tape on and bait with bacon or prawn, place near where it hides and wait.

Thanks Issey - looks like i'm down the shops for bacon tomorrow - hope they have a deal on! :)
Oh the joys... I liked him at first but now... :angry:
Ok - sorry but can you explain the process a little - cut the top of a bottle of coke off - put into tank upside down with small piece of bacon but how does he get in there and will i be quick enough to catch him when he is - also shouldn't i need something to capture underneath?
Thanks
R

Insert what was the top of the coke bottle into the bottom half of the coke bottle.
Therefore a gentle slope into the bottle but once he's inside it'll be really hard to get out.
I'm pretty sure it is then placed horizontal near the entrance to his 'den'

### - i think i've had one too many this eve ;-P I think I worked it out - going to give it a shot!

As curiosity says for the coke bottle, it is better however if you place it tilted against a rock rather then horizontal, it is easier for the crab to get that way.

Be aware you may trap good stuff before catching the crab. It does not always work either, but it is a good start.

i wouldnt put bacon in my fish tank :sick:
I'd say your best bet is abit of prawn.

Most reactions

Back