Hipppo Tang Info

Lovesfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have been wanting to buy a hippo tang for a long time, but I'm wondering how sensitve they are to change and how hard they are to keep. I've read some things but I'm not sure if you have any input on the issue. thanks dave.

THey're definitely on the more difficult end of the spectrum. Very suceptible to ich like any tangs, and require a lot of swimming room. I'm pretty sure minium tank size for hippos to grow into is 100gal. Dont have too much more info about them though...

I read if u really wanted one a uv would be a must have as it can cut down the chances of getting ich.

A freind just started marine and he put one in a 29 gallon i said way to small and it will have ich any time soon. he replies ah it be fine seems happy at the moment.
then the next day i got a call when i was working "can u put by a tank for a hospital as its got ich" so i just laughed but they are very suseptible to it (spelling?)

suseptible to it (spelling?)

Close, susceptible :good:

Yeah, definitely not meant for a 29g and I agree that UV or even Ozone would be good ideas to try and prevent ich in the tank :)

I had one for awhile until it played dead on the sand one day and the stingray smothered it. If you do decide to get one make sure it is eating at the store and ask them how long they have had it.

aww thats sad are they hard for someone to keep if you can keep them from getting ich or is that the tough part?

There's 3 tough parts to keeping tangs. Having a big enough tank for them to swim in, keeping good water quality to facilitate low stress, keeping them ich-free

ah well my tank is 5 feet long and I currently have a yellow tang who does well and never gets ich so I don't know if thats any sign for a dorie or not I just wanted advice becuase I wouldn't want to get one and stress it out or kill it. dave

A hippo in a 5footer with another resident tang wouldnt be the wisest of additions ;)

A 5ft tank would be fine, but the yellow tang that is already a resident would probably spell disaster for a hippo. You may get lucky with the two not colored the same and not having the same body profile, but if the yellow were to harass the hippo it would probably get stressed and develope ich. For whatever reason hippos are very timid and stress out easily. A stressed tang never ends well.

ah well the yellow tang has been mellow while we have had him. would a hippo added into the mix possibly cause him to change his ways. I'm not looking to upset the chemistry of the fish together if you get what i'm saying.

Can't say for sure what the yellow would do. Fish are similar to people they all have there own individual personalities and some don't follow the rules. I guess it all depends on how big a chance you are willing to take and how much you want the hippo. If you do try it decide what you will do if it doesn't work out and be prepared to follow through with it. I can tell you from experience it is much much harder to remove a fish from the tank than you'd expect.

yea I know that much we've had a few good fish that went bad and had to remove them its not the easiest thing I've ever done heh.dave

i bought a blue hippo. it did well for 4 days but on the 5th day it died. i dont know what happend to it. water was 0-10-10. i think thats why. right now i have a yellow tang and its doing good water is at 0-0-15.

Yellow and Purple tangs are one of the hardiest of tangs that a person can keep. Regal tangs (hippos) are very prone to ich and the slightest sign of stress will incure ich. Whilst a yellow tang might seem docile in the tank, you try adding a similar fish and you will see just how its personality will change. If you wqant to see just how it will react to another tang in the system you can try a simple test. Add a mirro to the side of hte tank and allow it to see its reflection.. if world war 3 breaks out then i dont advise a regal tang unless its far far larger than the yellow.

Most reactions

Back