Highly Active Fish That Can Live With Zebra Danios?

ZoddyZod

Constantly learning
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
My zebra danios (11) are doing a great job of cycling my tank and seem very happy (incredibly active!) in their new surroundings.

I've been doing a lot of reading about which fish would be good as a community companion for them but I'm having trouble finding a 'perfect' tank mate.

It appears that zebras like the following conditions (which I have) that are limiting my options

Fast current
Fast moving companions (to avoid them being annoyed by the zebras)
Lowish temp (currently keeping them at 23.5c, 25c is the highest reco)

Thought Tiger Barbs would be good, but they apparently like slow water? My original plan of German Blue Rams has gone right out of the window thanks to sage advice from this forum :good:

Any suggestions???

hi
we've kept danios with tbs on & off for over 7 yrs with no probs, tbs actually do like a bit of current and are not annoyed by the zebras at all, if anything it seems to make them feel more secure as danios are 'dither fish' constantly moving & zipping around the tank if there was a serious threat to fish in the tank the tbs the danios would be the first to hide and give a bit of a 'warning' to the tbs.( and other fish) our tbs & danios get along fine and as ive said tbs are not bothered by a bit of current infact i quite often see one or two of them having a little swim in the current esp when younger. ( we've had tbs for nearly 8 years now) hope this helps

I also fail to see any problems with keeping tiger barbs in fast moving water. If you want something a little less common and, in my opinion, a little more attractive than a tiger barb, check out black ruby barbs.

There are plenty of other options, too, but I'd like to know the size of the tank before making any further recommendations.

I also fail to see any problems with keeping tiger barbs in fast moving water. If you want something a little less common and, in my opinion, a little more attractive than a tiger barb, check out black ruby barbs.

There are plenty of other options, too, but I'd like to know the size of the tank before making any further recommendations.

size is 125L.

Will not be adding them until the cycle readings have been flat for at least a month. If I was to add 6 Tigers (as seems the minium), will the increased bioload cause amonia/nitrItes to spike hugely? Should I add 2 at a time over a 3/4 week period?

If you're at all interested in corys then they're really happy in high currents.

Agreed with the above that most barbs will be fine with decent currents.
As will other danio species, many rasbora and some tetras.

I can't think of many larger fish to suggest though. :(

If you're at all interested in corys then they're really happy in high currents.

Agreed with the above that most barbs will be fine with decent currents.
As will other danio species, many rasbora and some tetras.

I can't think of many larger fish to suggest though. :(

I'm certainly thinking about corys. I have a small rounded gravel substrate (1-3mm) though, and although I've read that this should be fine I understand that they much prefer sand so as not to hurt their.......feelers (forgot the correct word :unsure: )

I see you have 5 kuli loach in a 125l? I was reading up on them last night and they will grow to 10cm, is that true? I thought that because they need company, my tank would be too small?

Not too fussed about bigger fish. Realise that my tank limits me to 7.5cm (roughly) sized fish for most species. Very much enjoying the activity levels of the zebras hence why I'm looking for similarly active tankmates.

I had corys on that sort of gravel for a long time and their barbels were fine. They did seem to geuinely enjoy being on sand though and would stick their 'noses' right down into it searching for food. Fun to watch :)

And I know what you're saying about Kuhlis. I have 7 now by the way, thanks for reminding me to update my sig.
I've read various stuff about Kuhlis. I averaged out what I read and I saw 7.5cm in quite a few places. But also that they are slow growing. So I figured they 'should' be fine for life. But if they aren't then I wont hesitate to re-home them if they go much past 7.5cm.

:)

Most reactions

Back