High Temperature

aldaleel

Reaction score
With the curent hot weather the temperature in my aquarium rises to unaccpetable level especially during mid afternoon to early evening and the red light on my heater comes on. Yesterday I lost red royal gourami due to I think the high temperature. What can I do to keep the temperature down. The aquarium is not in the line of direct sunshine

fill some plastic drinks bottles with water, freeze them and add them to the tank......just keep an eye on the thermometer to make sure it doesn't drop the temp too low.

I had a similar problem. My tank was in direct sunlight for atleast an hour and a half of the day. It would often rise from 73 to 81 degrees in a matter

of half an hour! I didn't loose any fish because my zebra danios and white cloud minnows are pretty hardy however i took some precautions which lowered the

temperature considerably, keeping it nice and stable. First, i kept the lid off the tank constantly (my tank has a lip on the edge so my fish havn't attempted

to jump out yet- i know they can though), this allows the warm humid air that lies on the surface to escape providing cooler air to wash over the surface. I

also angled my filter outlet so water spurts out of the water, meaning that the water flying through the air has a chance to cool further. I didn't do this

next bit but i imagine it would be good to angel some kind of fan onto the surface of the water- this not only agitates the waters surface providing oxygen

(oxygen levels get low during hot weather) but it also blows cool air onto the waters surface, once again further cooling it. Now, these changes will reduce

the temperature by a couple of degrees (i find they get the tank to a stable 75/76 from an incredibly hot 81 degrees in my tank atleast). I agree with the ice

technique however, i placed a large sheet of ice around 2" wide by 10" long by 1" deep on the surface of my tank, i let it melt completly (don't be alarmed,

this is frozen tank water), the fish didn't mined it and even though it melted in a matter of about an hour it kept the water at a cool 72 degrees- perfect for

my coldwater danios- initially the temperature did drop to 69 degrees so i would remove it before it hit that stage. The reason the cold water stays cold for

the rest of the day is because water has a high specific heat capacity (it takes a large amount of water to heat up one kg of water by 1 degrees celsius)... i

can't remeber if it is grams or kilograms, correct me if i am wrong. Below is a link to pictures of my tank- you can see how my filter oulet works. :)

http://s1069.photobucket.com/albums/u461/Clearwater_Pro/?albumview=slideshow

Most reactions

Back