High Nitrite Levels

DJGonzo69

Reaction score
Hi all,
Need some info on how to get rid of high Nitrite levels.
My tank is a Eclipse 3 with 1 CT BETTA & 2 Cherry Barbs & 1 Otto Cat.
When I test the water Amonia is 0ppm, Nitrate is 0, PH is 7.0, but
the Nitrite is just way too high. I'm currently using Nitro-Zorb, but
since my tank's filter/pump is cramped for space I cannot fit the Nitro-zorb
pack where the water passes. So what I did was immerse the bag in the water
right under where the water exits the filter/pump unit. I did 50% water change to help. Some people say use marine salt, but since I have a Otto Cat I've heard that it's bad for them. When I look at the fish they look healthy, they eat, no signs of stress. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thx.

Whats your nitrate reading in tap water, when did you last slightly rinse the sponge in tank water.

Wilder,
The filter sponge is new maybe a week old. I have not tested my tap water. I also use Amquel Plus , Stress Zhyme, & Prime chems. I will test my tap water tonight. If it's high then I will just use my R/O or distilled water since I also have a Marine tank.
Thx.

How many gallons is the tank.

Probably through adding the new sponge, cherry barbs should be in a ten gal really, you might have to think of selling them back to the lfs with the otto, do some water changes to fetch nitrites down as they are high

With the System 3 it's not really a sponnge, it's more like a carbon filter media. It does have a bio wheel. Maybe that's why it does not have a sponge. I can move my barbs & Otto's to my 12 gal. tank.

Thx.

It would be better if you can move them, as that betta and the size of the tank should really be on it's own then you can do a large water change and add some salt to his tank.

It sounds like your tank is still cycling and you are on the nitrite spike. You need to do daily water changes to try to keep in down as 5.0 ppm is very deadly. I would also throw all the chemicals away. They generally only mask a more serious problem. I know Stress Zyme is a bacteria additive as i bought a bottle last week, mistaking it for Stress Coat (it helps to actually read the label when you pick up the bottle). I decided to go ahead and try it on my 2.5 gallon that is cycling. I have added it twice in a week as the instructions say and my ammonia readings have not changed at all so I think it is pretty much useless. The Amquel Plus I guess is supposed to get rid of the ammonia and other toxins but most of the time, those products only convert them to a less harmful form rather than eliminate them completely. I think Prime basically does the same thing that Amquel does so they may actually work against each other. It is always best to avoid chemicals except as a last resort.

I would add a airstone too, as Nitrite is usually caused by lack of aeration. NitRATE is different and is usually caused by a cycle. Nitrite though is usually a Co2 concentration issue, caused by lack of aeration :*)

Jezah said:
I would add a airstone too, as Nitrite is usually caused by lack of aeration. NitRATE is different and is usually caused by a cycle. Nitrite though is usually a Co2 concentration issue, caused by lack of aeration :*)
I'm certainly no expert but have you not got nitrIte and nitrAte backwards? NitrIte is the second step in the cycling of nitrogen. Ammonia is broken down into nitrIte which is then broken into nitrAte. They are both part of the cycling process. NitrAte is almost always present in a cycled tank whereas ammonia and nitrIte should never be present.

No, I had it right. I said Nitrates are caused by cycle, and Nitrites usually only appear due to Co2 concentration...lack of aeration.

i have to agree with rd1952 - NitrItes are the 2nd stage of tne Nitrogen cycle and after the cycle should not be present. NitrAtes are always present at some level after the cycle is finished and can be kept in check (in most cases) by regular water changes

Most reactions

Back