High Nitrates

Even if the rock can reduce nitates to zero (which i personally believe it can and does) you will still need to make water changes. The salt slowly loses its trace eliments over time and thus it needs replacing at some point. Admittedly it would not have to be as often I will give you an example. (which is a bit of a contradiction i know) :blush:

My marine 220 gallon setup was made over 1 year ago. I did 2 water changes during this time but the amount of NSW needed to transport for this job was very dfficult indeed. Since this time i have not made a single water change to it.

Water perameters are fine (all reading zero) PH 8.2.

I dont have many corals (which is why i see no urgency in changing the water). so the trace eliments will have lasted longer than a large colony of SPS corals for example. My only true concern is my Crocus clam as i know this will draw from the trace eliments in the water but even this is thriving in my tank.

I always advise regular water change even though on my larger system this has been a bit lax lately. However i can argue that my water is now more stable than any tank i have ever owned. Even though i have had some losses during this time it was mainly put down to parasetic problems rather than water quality.
My only filtration in the system is Liverock , I dont run ozone or skimming at the moment. I have a tiny batch of Haliptilon at the moment but this is extremly slow growing and a very poor nutrient extractor. I have no operating sump either so nothing extra in there to benefit from filtration.

I have some very large fish in my system, 4 Emperor tangs, an Orange shoulder tang and an adult blue face angel to mention but a few. I feed 3 times per day (little and often) so they are getting plenty of food.

Considering the amount of nutrients entering and forming in the water must be very large, I am pleased that they are being used up so quickly. Something must be using it and i am guessing its the rock. It cant be my sand as it is very large grained (to allow for good pod growth) infact its almost pebble like and only 1 inch deep.

Liverock is a miracle and i cannot stress enough how important it is to have in a system.
As long as the rock is kept moist and wet then there should be little to no die off deep within the rock as far as bacteria is concerned. Anoxic bacteria require very very poor oxyginated environments so if the rock has no flow through it but remains wet deep within then it should survive in enough quantities to do little harm ot the rock when its matured in a system.

Most reactions

Back