Hifin platy

Aussie_Bristle

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hi all

Hope you’re all well?!

I went to my LFS today to replace Charlotte my balloon molly as the 2 boys were getting abit boisterous with each other since she passed.As I was looking in the other tanks I spotted this gorgeous little guy within all the normal platies. I had to take him home

Attachments

• 9D3FF45C-F6D9-41C4-BE32-F293FEBA2988.jpeg
    9D3FF45C-F6D9-41C4-BE32-F293FEBA2988.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 210
I will. Once he settles in I should be able to get better photos of him hopefully. He’s a real little stunner.
He's gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing more photos of him. Recently got two blue female platies for a community tank, and love them so much. So many beautiful varieties of platy out there.

He's gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing more photos of him. Recently got two blue female platies for a community tank, and love them so much. So many beautiful varieties of platy out there.

I have never really been into platies, not that I don’t like them I just have enough livebearers. But he just stood out in the tank with his beautiful colours and that striking hi-fin I had to have him.

I have never really been into platies, not that I don’t like them I just have enough livebearers. But he just stood out in the tank with his beautiful colours and that striking hi-fin I had to have him.
Haha, they get you that way! I had decided that I was going to wind down guppy breeding and start something else, but then saw an unusual female guppy. Very yellow body, when every female guppy I've ever seen has a grey/olive green body colour (see pic). Then my males weren't interested in her, and I wanted to see what fry she would produce, so I ended up buying a yellow male for her... lol. Fingers crossed for the pitter patter of little yellow baby feet (fins?) soon.

Didn't plan for mollies or platies either, but I've had to take over maintaining my father's 55 gal community, which already had mollies and platies. He had some santa mickey mouse platies, which are not my favourite, and a couple of red ones. Those have bred to produce orange mickey mouse fry. When he lost his female mickey mouse ones he was upset about it, and it threw the male/female ratio off. When I was next at the LFS taking young guppies, mollies and platies in, I couldn't resist these gorgeous blue females.

Impulse buys when something unusual catches your attention will get ya! Is your high fin boy in with any females?
DSCF0904.JPG

Haha, they get you that way! I had decided that I was going to wind down guppy breeding and start something else, but then saw an unusual female guppy. Very yellow body, when every female guppy I've ever seen has a grey/olive green body colour (see pic). Then my males weren't interested in her, and I wanted to see what fry she would produce, so I ended up buying a yellow male for her... lol. Fingers crossed for the pitter patter of little yellow baby feet (fins?) soon.

Didn't plan for mollies or platies either, but I've had to take over maintaining my father's 55 gal community, which already had mollies and platies. He had some santa mickey mouse platies, which are not my favourite, and a couple of red ones. Those have bred to produce orange mickey mouse fry. When he lost his female mickey mouse ones he was upset about it, and it threw the male/female ratio off. When I was next at the LFS taking young guppies, mollies and platies in, I couldn't resist these gorgeous blue females.

Impulse buys when something unusual catches your attention will get ya! Is your high fin boy in with any females?
View attachment 110693

oh she’s pretty!!

I have swordtails, guppies and a mollies in with him no other platies. He is my little special one

oh she’s pretty!!

I have swordtails, guppies and a mollies in with him no other platies. He is my little special one

Thank you! I like her, never seen such a yellow body on a female before.

Aaaw, I'd love to see that tank sometime, must be full of life! But what happens if you spot a high fin girl at the store? Would be tempting to see what babies they produce, wouldn't it? Not that I'm trying to be a bad influence on you or anything... ;)

Thank you! I like her, never seen such a yellow body on a female before.

Aaaw, I'd love to see that tank sometime, must be full of life! But what happens if you spot a high fin girl at the store? Would be tempting to see what babies they produce, wouldn't it? Not that I'm trying to be a bad influence on you or anything... ;)
Yeah she’s a pretty lady indeed, have never seen a girl like that.

Well that pretty lady would be coming home with me:rofl: I think it would be a bit of a rare opportunity I think find another one but hey I’m up for the challenge of looking for a lovely lady for him:wub:

View attachment 110693
This is a commercial blonde female guppy. If she hasn´t mated with another kind of male guppy but only with a male of her own strain, the male outcome would be delta blonde based with red fins despite of the blue that´s visible in the female´s fins. But again, a complete different colored male could have mated with her and then the outcome will be different.
Blonde female guppies are very common in the commercial trade. But I guess, it´s more the location that counts wether such blonde females are sold or not.

This is a commercial blonde female guppy. If she hasn´t mated with another kind of male guppy but only with a male of her own strain, the male outcome would be delta blonde based with red fins despite of the blue that´s visible in the female´s fins. But again, a complete different colored male could have mated with her and then the outcome will be different.
Blonde female guppies are very common in the commercial trade. But I guess, it´s more the location that counts wether such blonde females are sold or not.
This is great info to learn, thank you! I'm still new to the hobby, so I don't know the colour names or the genetics terribly well yet. All of the females I've had before were grey or slightly olive coloured on the body, but I'm also only dealing with store bought mutt guppies, haven't crossed into fancy guppies quite yet... although I might soon! I haven't seen any like her around here, and when I googled "yellow female guppy" and "female guppy yellow body" and different variations like that, I couldn't find anything. She was the only one like her in the tank at the store, maybe she jumped into the mutt guppy tank at the fish farm and got shipped with them?

I can't see any blue in her with the naked eye, she just looks yellow with the white patch, and white and red tail. Might be the lights and camera making it look more blue.

I mated her with a yellow snakeskin male, and she looked like a virgin female to my inexperienced eye. This is the only male she was exposed to in my tanks before she became gravid. Should be getting fry fairly soon all being well, although she's having a slight swim bladder issue right now, which I'm concerned about; I really like her, and want to see what fry they produce. Here's the male.
DSCF0910.JPG

If she hasn´t mated with another kind of male guppy
This is the only male she was exposed to in my tanks before she became gravid. Should be getting fry fairly soon all being well, although she's having a slight swim bladder issue right now, which I'm concerned about; I really like her, and want to see what fry they produce. Here's the male.
Whoops, just remembered that I did put her into my community tank with two males in it, and I was so confused, because my males (a deep blue and a very dark purple) completely ignored her. I watched them for a long time, and they didn't display to her or chase her. They still chased all the other females, but it was if she was invisible to them. Can that even happen?? I know they can have preferred females, but have never heard of a female being ignored by them. I ended up getting the snakeskin male and putting them in their own tank for a while, and he courted her immediately. But there's a chance one of the other males got to her when I wasn't looking of course.

Whoops, just remembered that I did put her into my community tank with two males in it, and I was so confused, because my males (a deep blue and a very dark purple) completely ignored her. I watched them for a long time, and they didn't display to her or chase her. They still chased all the other females, but it was if she was invisible to them. Can that even happen?? I know they can have preferred females, but have never heard of a female being ignored by them. I ended up getting the snakeskin male and putting them in their own tank for a while, and he courted her immediately. But there's a chance one of the other males got to her when I wasn't looking of course.
At this point best thing to do is just to wait what the outcome will be in order to be more sure if this male is gonna be the father or not.
Btw, google yellow female guppy won´t give you the proper info. Better to google blonde female guppy instead.
Yes, in the picture it shows bluish in the fins but it could be white as well. Light can influence the color in a picture.

Most reactions

Back