Hi!!

jeremy25

Reaction score
Hello! My name is Julie, I'm a vet student and beginner in the fish keeping hobby

I currently have a 5g tank with just my betta Miguel and some silk plants, have had him for a year now. I LOVE planted tanks but I always end up killing all the plants, so gave up a few months ago :(

But I recently got a new 20g tank for Miguel and intend to try keeping plants alive this time! I'm excited to get all the advice I can from this forum and really plan this new tank with everyone's help!

Hi and welcome to TFF, Julie...
If you like, you can send a photo of Miguel when we have another Fish of the month contest with bettas as a subject.

This is a really good forum, I think you will like it here.

I have an encyclopedia book on aquatic plants and there is a suggested plan, good for beginners, specifically for fish like bettas. Most of these plants do well in low light. The plans are for a 4 foot long aquarium so you would need to greatly abbreviate it for your 20 gallon, but I’ve attached a couple of pictures that might help get you started. You can start researching some of those plants listed to see if you’d like to try some of those.

Attachments

• IMG_1538.jpeg
    IMG_1538.jpeg
    214.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1539.jpeg
    IMG_1539.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 15
Welcome! We'd love to see pictures of Miguel!
Thanks!
This is Miguel when I first got him dec 2022 (first pic) and Miguel today (second pic). It's a lot harder taking pics of him now, he gets really excited when people get near his tank and won't stop swimming lol

Attachments

• 20221221_190353.jpg
    20221221_190353.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240111_112620.jpg
    20240111_112620.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 17
This is a really good forum, I think you will like it here.

I have an encyclopedia book on aquatic plants and there is a suggested plan, good for beginners, specifically for fish like bettas. Most of these plants do well in low light. The plans are for a 4 foot long aquarium so you would need to greatly abbreviate it for your 20 gallon, but I’ve attached a couple of pictures that might help get you started. You can start researching some of those plants listed to see if you’d like to try some of those.
Cool!! Thank you

Thanks!
This is Miguel when I first got him dec 2022 (first pic) and Miguel today (second pic). It's a lot harder taking pics of him now, he gets really excited when people get near his tank and won't stop swimming lol
He's a cool little guy, I'm a sucker for bettas and know exactly what you mean about them getting excited!

Most reactions

Back