Hi

rpanchal

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

New on here so firstly Hi all!!!

I currently have the "Love Fish Panorama Tank 64L" its sold at pets at home. I have changed the supplied internal filter to a Tetra EX 600 external one. Tanks been up and running for about a year or so now.

Current stock is as follows:

X1 Male Molly
X6 Black phantom tetras
X8 Male Guppies
X12 Neon Tetras 
X1 Cherry Shrimp

I carry out regular water changes.

Can I add any more fish or is what I have at the moment the max?

Thanks

TBH, I'd say were slightly overstocked. What level are your nitrates at, before a water change, and how big and how frequent are the water changes?

You also have some fish that like soft water, and others that would prefer it hard, so you might want to think about rehoming some, depending on what your water is like.

welcomeani.gif
to the forum.

The filter change is a good one, I know the that Love Fish 64l tank internal filter that usually comes with it is not a particularly good one, so a wise move getting that external as this frees up swimming space inside the tank and make sit look better imho.

Thought its does sounds like you're a little overstocked am afraid as Fluttermoth already pointed out :/

So it would be useful to have the water parameter readings, if you have the test kits.

If not, take a sample of water to LFS and ask for pH, ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte tests, and would also be good if they can test your water hardness / softness (gH & kH).
Then post these results here, be sure to get specific readings, try not to accept the standard "its fine" response from the LFS staff.

We will then have a much better idea of how to help you further.

Hope that helps :)

water readings below:

PH - 7.6
High Range PH - 7.4
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm

No nitrate?

Usually a mature tank will have a reading of nitrate unless the tank is very densely planted.
And you say this tank has been running a year, thats what makes this reading unusual.

Nitrate is the by product of both your bacteria types going though ammonia and nitrite.

Unless of course the nitrate test is not accurate as this test is the least accurate of the 4 tests, usually due to the 2nd bottle of re-agent solution which needs to be shaken REALLY well for the full time stated in instructions.

You didn't by any chance change or clean the substrate or filter media or anything like that?

And lastly, do you happen to know the gH / kH or easier yet, does your kettle have a a lot of limescale in it? Thats usually a sign of hard water, having limescale.

Hi guys,

Sorry it took time water readings

Ph 7.6
High range ph 7.8
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 80ppm

Are these ok?

I'm pretty sure the highest you want your nitrates is 40ppm.  I will let someone else confirm or correct that though.  I try to keep mine around 10-20ppm. You haven't said what test kit you are using, that may be one thing to sort out.  Is it the stick type or liquid? Have you tested your tap water to see what you are working with before it is added to the tank?

I use an API test kit and I challenge anyone to tell the difference on the chart between 40 and 80 ppm of nitrate. My readings are always in this area, be it 40, 80 or something in between without any ill effects, if that helps.

i know API very well, 40-80 is okay altho your tank may be overstocked, try larger 50% + Wc do you have any live plants in the tank? adding some live plants may use up some of that nitrate, also if you wanted to add anything else to the tank Chery shrimp only 1 :( poor guy add more of them adding another 6 or 9 won't add to much more to your bio load and your cherry shrimp won't feel so alone :D

another thing to note, have you tested your Tap water, do you have high levels of nitrate in that? i used to have 20ppm nitrate in my tap water so i had 40-80ppm in my tank fish are fine with that and perfectly safe for them, wouldn't surprise me if you have some algae in the tank too with those levels tho :D

I agree that there are too many fish now, and some should be re-homed if at all possible.  GH (hardness) is not given, but with the pH of 7.6 or 7.8 and seeing that you are in the UK I would assume your GH is moderate or more.  So all this means better for livebearers (guppies, molly, platy, etc).  The molly however is not a small fish, as it should attain close to 3 inches (females are larger at 5 inches).  Neons and Black Phantom tetras as another member mentioned would be better in softer water.  Mollies will not do well in soft water, so if my assumption of the GH is off, this has to be addressed.

Nitrates should not be above 20 ppm, and it is best to aim for no higher than 10 ppm.  Nitrate is just another form of nitrogen that is poisonous to fish, and the fact that it is not as fast-acting as ammonia and nitrite does not mean it is still not toxic.  You will find most reliable sources like Neale Monks (I believe he is even a member here) recommending 20 ppm as maximum.  Up your water changes with good vacuum of the substrate; live plants can help too by using more of the ammonia so less nitrite/nitrate results.  Keep the filter cleaned.

You can find out the GH (and confirm the pH) from your water supply people who may have a website.  Use the pH test that corresponds to your tap water pH, as you can get widely differing results from using the high test and the other.  It is easier to monitor pH when the test is always the same.

Byron.

I have the API master kit, well just recently I noticed white spots on my molly, she's looked fine however yesterday morning she was dead, the strange thing is though one of my guppies was also dead, led next to the molly. I already have x2 cherry shrimp & 4 amano shimp

Most reactions

Back