Hi I'm New, (but Would Also Like Shrimp Advice)

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Baffscruff

Reaction score
Right, first things first, hello I thought it was about time I signed up to a tropical fish forum as ive been keeping fish for a while and absolutely love it. So hello everyone!

Secondly, ive been looking into keeping red cherry shrimp (about 10) for a while and ive got a tank full of caves and plant life all set up and cycling ready for when i get them in the new year. I was wondering if anyone could recommend 1 or 2 species of shoaling fish (the prettier the better) who will appreciate this environment and of course get along well with my shrimp. Also it would be a big bonus if they could breed at a similar temperature and pH as the shrimp, as ive purely been keeping fish and not really breeding them (except by accident) up till now, but i'd like to get more into breeding, so i thought id start small in my newest tank.

Lol looking back thats quite specific isnt it? oh well any advice given, even if its not my perfect fish would still be appreiated

Third and finally merry christmas to all and thankyou in advance for any help given in the busy holiday period.

best imo shoaling species-

neon tetra
harlequins
silver dollar
bosemani rainbows
rummy nose tetra
cardinal tetra

it all depends on the size of the tank, volume and length, as bosemani's are 5" fish, so having a group of 6 would need a rather large space, but for the approx 90 litre community i reccomend neons as they are wonderfully colourful

neons are good little guys, but need a tank of 6 months+ so its had time to mature. (60 litres minimum)
harlequin rasboras tight shoalers, suited to newer tanks.(60 litres minimum)
silver dollar good shoaling fish will probably eat shrimps.(120 litres min)
bosmaeons rainbow fish, good shoalers. may eat shrimps (170 litres minimum)
rummynose tetra good shoaler very colourful(90 litres minimum)
cardinal tetra, suited to mature tanks 6months +.(60 litres minimum.)
WCMM. good for new tanks very hardy wont grow to big, very colourful if happy. (60 litres minimum)

for most shoaling species in the 3-6cm range need a tank of atleast 60 litres,

how long has it been set up?

Around about two weeks now, with no fish only lots of plants. I used spare filter and some substrate as well as plants from one of my other existing tanks and its eliminating the ammonia I add every day within about 6 hours and the nitrite levels are a nice constant zero, so its perfectly ready for the shrimp, im just a bit worried about certain types of fish...

Most reactions

Back