Hi I now have my freshwater tank as I want it and am now looking at setting up a small tropical tank i.e. A flex57 and looking for suggestions

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Vtw

Reaction score
I would like to keep a few panda Corey's and a bristle nose what would be best to keep with these the tank will be planted

Panda corys and all coreys are shoaling fish and very social and do best and belong in groups, they can get to about 3 inches. If you wanted Cories id go with salt and pepper coreys ( corydora hasbrosus, or hastatus) they are dwarf species cories that get about an inch each, they do best in large groups 8-10 or more. BN pleco gets about 6 inches and as with all plecos are super messy, they need more room than a 15 gallon can provide. The smallest pleco a clown pleco that only gets about 3 inches would still need more room as well. Depending on your water you could do guppies which require harder water, or smaller tetras like embers that require soft water but not neons and like tetras as they need more length for swimming than a 15 gallon provides. Sorry i know cramming a bunch of fish in there for variety is exciting but the fish one can keep in a 15 gallon and expect them to be happy is limited. You could always get african dwarf frogs with sone shrimp and snails. Dwarf frogs dont do well with fish.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

We have the tank volume but what are the dimensions? This can make quite a difference to different fish.

And, what are the water parameters, primarily GH and pH, of your source water? For this small a tank some of the fish that might be suggested will have more intolerance outside their preference. And substrate is important too...for any cories you need sand.

The flex is a 40x40x40cm cube so is really only suited as a bank tank. If you post the parameters as above someone can advise.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

We have the tank volume but what are the dimensions? This can make quite a difference to different fish.

And, what are the water parameters, primarily GH and pH, of your source water? For this small a tank some of the fish that might be suggested will have more intolerance outside their preference. And substrate is important too...for any cories you need sand.
I'm in a hard water area with with a ph of 6.8 - 7.3 and gh of 18 according to themes water

18 dH is too high for cories, I'm afraid.

The Flex may be 57 litres but being a cube it does not have the swimming length of most 57 litre tanks so it limits the choice of fish. You need to look at small, hard water fish which are sedate swimmers. The fish that spring to mind are male only endlers or maybe guppies.

18 dH is too high for cories, I'm afraid.

The Flex may be 57 litres but being a cube it does not have the swimming length of most 57 litre tanks so it limits the choice of fish. You need to look at small, hard water fish which are sedate swimmers. The fish that spring to mind are male only endlers or maybe guppies.
Thank you

Most reactions

Back