Hi Everybody

crush

Reaction score
Hello to you all,

My name is dave,im from the UK.I have no real knowledge of keeping fish but have always wanted to,so now i have the funds avaiable to do it properly i fully intend to.

I will be making full use of the info and help available on your forum well before i actually make any purchases(no point in needlessly getting it all wrong)

So thanks in advance for any help i get,and i look forward to chatting to some of you on here in the future :D

Dave.

Heeeey welcome to TFF :)

Some really nice guides & info all over the shop on here :) any questions, just ask

Simo

Welcome to the hobby and to our forum Dave.
Have you been to a fish shop yet to get an idea of which fish interest you?

Welcome to the hobby and to our forum Dave.
Have you been to a fish shop yet to get an idea of which fish interest you?

i have been looking around to get some ideas of prices but to be honest i havnt got many ideas of what id like(they all look nice so far)
Im off at the weekend for a better look :good:

Welcome!!!

to figure out what you can stock - - try one of two routes if you are stuck - -
1> go to the lfs, pick a favorite fish, then plan tank size and stocking around that
2> pick a tank size then plan a stocking that will live happily in that size :good:

any questions? feel free to ask! we love helping out here!

also...take a look in the beginners section to read up on fishless cycling - - trust me...it will be worth it!

Welcome!!!

to figure out what you can stock - - try one of two routes if you are stuck - -
1> go to the lfs, pick a favorite fish, then plan tank size and stocking around that
2> pick a tank size then plan a stocking that will live happily in that size :good:

any questions? feel free to ask! we love helping out here!

also...take a look in the beginners section to read up on fishless cycling - - trust me...it will be worth it!

Il be sure to ask,thank you.
I think i will be buying the size of tank i can afford and that works best in the space i have then i will plan my stocking around that.
I have already had a good read on the fishless cycle,it sounds a bit confusing but i guess it makes more sense when your actually doing it.It also sounds like it takes a bit of time,so i guess this gives me plenty of time to plan my stock,or do i ideally need to know this beforehand?

The largest tank that you can easily afford is often the best choice Crush. A larger tank means a more stable set of water conditions since changing water conditions means overcoming the natural stability of the water that is present. That means that you should probably spend about 80% of the money you have available to buy the tank, heater and filter that most closely matches your desires. The remaining cash is used to bring your tank into alignment with the resulting fish needs.
Fish less cycling is really quite simple. It is a simple case of using ammonia to substitute for the ammonia that fish will naturally produce and monitoring the progress of the bacterial colonies in your filter by using water samples. Looked at with that perspective, nothing could be easier. I usually have Waterdrop to help me keep people on track from the first day of a fishless cycle to its completion, but he must be on vacation since I have not seen him in over a week.
Planning an ultimate stocking is easy. Once you know what you are working with for water, simply let us know and let us know what fish appeal to you. We will be happy to help you achieve the closest match you can to your favorites while keeping in mind the water that you have to work with. I often suggest that total newbies go to the local fish shop and just write down what appeals to them. Often we can suggest which of their fish will work and can help people avoid conflicts based on individual species aggression or similar issues.

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum. I am relatively new at keeping fish but the guys on here have been fantastic at answering my queries.

In simple terms which I understood:

The first thing you will need to do after you get your tank is to get the filter ready and working to deal with the fish waste it will come into contact with. {This is called a cycle}

To do this you need to get a bacteria growing inside the filter, which in effect eats up waste products entering the water thereafter.

I am not an expert but Im sure someone will tell you the steps of the fishless cycle.

Hope you go on ok. Add some photos when you are set up. Will be interested on which fish you go for.

Rache

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum. I am relatively new at keeping fish but the guys on here have been fantastic at answering my queries.

In simple terms which I understood:

The first thing you will need to do after you get your tank is to get the filter ready and working to deal with the fish waste it will come into contact with. {This is called a cycle}

To do this you need to get a bacteria growing inside the filter, which in effect eats up waste products entering the water thereafter.

I am not an expert but Im sure someone will tell you the steps of the fishless cycle.

Hope you go on ok. Add some photos when you are set up. Will be interested on which fish you go for.

Rache

Il keep you posted rache :good:

Thanks for stepping up Rachel. We often have several fish posts that go without any input similar to yours. You seem like a simple hobbyist in your posts.

Thanks for stepping up Rachel. We often have several fish posts that go without any input similar to yours. You seem like a simple hobbyist in your posts.

Not sure how to take that? I can only give help on things I know. But still getting used to the forum.

Anyway back to original post from Dave - Have you got your tank yet?

Rache

Not sure how to take that? I can only give help on things I know. But still getting used to the forum.

Anyway back to original post from Dave - Have you got your tank yet?

Rache
i havn't got one yet,im going for a look at the weekend,hopefully then i will have one and i can get myself started.
Im currently having a move around in the house to see what sort of room i have.
My wife seems happy that im going to have a new hobby(i currently collect trainers and she does not like it)(and yes i know its sad) :good:

Please do not take offense Rachel. I think that experienced people can sometimes be overpowering with our use of the hobby jargon. A truly new person often has just the right words to set people at their ease. I think you have given that perspective to this thread.

A truly new person often has just the right words

Completely agree :) I thought your response was spot on :good: I got soooo muddled between nitrites and nitrates when I got started (which was the *really* bad one again....???) :S and then there was all the other stuff about PH and whatnot.... :no: It took me ages to figure out what I should be checking on a regular basis and what I should be worried about and what supplement I needed to consider adding...... If only TFF had been around then.....

Most reactions

Back