Hi all. New here and issue with Fluval Edge!

K&K

Reaction score
Hi all,

I purchased a Fluval Edge 23l for my partner December of last year as a Christmas gift.
She only decided to get the cycle running in April during lockdown and in May she purchased 2 cherry shrimp and 6 endler guppies. All doing really well. However, today I went to get something from under the table where the tank is and the box I wanted was completely soaked.
Looks like water has been collecting in the compartment below the filter - the base of the backing of the tank frame.
I've never experienced leaks of any sort when having a much larger tank/filter system of my own approx 8 years ago.
I'm just wondering if there are any other fluval edge (23l) owners out there that have experienced this??
When we found some water had collected before, we thought it was from where we had been doing a water change. It wasn't as much as what was in there today. We kept an eye on it during the next few changes and no issues.
We haven't looked at the base for quite some time (not really needed to!) and now shocked as water has travelled down the back of the table and onto the carpet (and the box).

Any insight into this would be great. I can't see any obvious damage. No cracks or hissing from anywhere.

Thanks all in advance,

Krissy

I’ve had the Fluval Edge before, nice little tank but not without its little irks.

Anyhow, I never had a leak from the edge at all, so am unsure how it could be leaking.

Are all the seals along the edges inside the tank intact?
That’s the only thing can think of that’s could be leaking without you seeing any obvious cracks or damage on the glass.

Or could it be water from your hose or bucket when you’re doing water changes?

Trying to remember the filter, it’s a hang on back filter is it not?
No damage or leaks from the filter?

Other than that not much can provide as those tanks are quite good in fact, has the usual good Fluval build quality.

The filter on that edge, I’m beginning to remember it now, it has the motor pump on the bottom on the external shell.

Is the motor positioned correctly, twisted tight to seal it from water leaking out?

Do you have a warranty for the tank? If so, you may speak with the manufacturers. (I would anyway, regardless of the warranty)

Have you tampered with it at all? (Tried to re silicone it?)

The Fluval Edge is popular with aquascapers, I'd imagine it's a fault with the filter or a manufacturing fault with your particular tank rather than all of them, since the edge has been around for a while, I don't think they all leak. (I want one in fact!) but if you google "fluval edge leaking" there are certainly lots of results, including some talking about maintenance of the filter and how to make sure it's sealed properly, worth checking out I'd think! But also worth contacting the manufacturer, it might still be within warranty.

The filter on that edge, I’m beginning to remember it now, it has the motor pump on the bottom on the external shell.

Is the motor positioned correctly, twisted tight to seal it from water leaking out?

Thanks for your speedy replies!

Yes, this is the one!

Checked over for damage. Nothing obvious.

No tampering at all. Was brand new out the Box in December. Only set it up in April. The new fish fam joined in May. Only now we're experiencing this issue.

I'm going to have another look over it now.
I really am baffled. It doesn't seem enough water to have collected over 6 weeks if it was an obvious leak, however, it's definitely built up and caused a fair amount of water to fall onto the carpet. Obviously would have been more if the box had not been there to soak up most of it.

Where is your outlet nozzle pointing? I thought I had a leak in mine and it turned out a snail had got stuck in one of the nozzles. This was enough to change the flow of the water so it spashed onto the lid, ran across the lid and out of the tank. Check for splashing and lid fitment.

Do you have a warranty for the tank? If so, you may speak with the manufacturers. (I would anyway, regardless of the warranty)

Have you tampered with it at all? (Tried to re silicone it?)

No. All as it was when it came out the box.
Looks like I may have to contact them. Doesn't seem normal for water to just collect at the base and then overflow and pour out over everything.

As I said, I can't see any obvious breaks, cracks or causes for leak but I've just run my hand underneath the filter whilst it's running (hard with the minimal space!)
Seems like water may be sneaking out of the levelling device. Not sure why this is now a problem or when it began.

The filter, hmm did suspect that be the most likely cause.

Take the filter out and maybe check the seals and the filter leveller and of course for any obvious cracks.

If you do find something then maybe you can use some glue (100% cyanoacrylate) or aquarium silicon sealant would be safe enough for aquariums. and filters.

Or maybe even replace the filter if that’s easier.

The filter, hmm did suspect that be the most likely cause.

Take the filter out and maybe check the seals and the filter leveller and of course for any obvious cracks.

If you do find something then maybe you can use some glue (100% cyanoacrylate) or aquarium silicon sealant would be safe enough for aquariums. and filters.

Or maybe even replace the filter if that’s easier.

Having a good look now. Will update if I find anything of concern. Thanks again for all the responses!

Are you using the standard Flex filtration system?

Are you using the standard Flex filtration system?

It's the A595B filter that came as standard with the Fluval Edge 23l setup. Believe it's the same filter for the 46l also.

Still unable to find the source. Tempted to buy a replacement.

Chances of the fish fam making it through the night without the filter on? Just concerns me with the tank being so small. I've definitely noticed how much quicker things build up in there compared to my 240l tank.

6 guppies and 2 cherry shrimp and 2 snails doing their cleaning......Would hate to lose any during the night but don't want to risk the water leaking etc whilst we're asleep.

It's the A595B filter that came as standard with the Fluval Edge 23l setup. Believe it's the same filter for the 46l also.

Still unable to find the source. Tempted to buy a replacement.

Chances of the fish fam making it through the night without the filter on? Just concerns me with the tank being so small. I've definitely noticed how much quicker things build up in there compared to my 240l tank.

6 guppies and 2 cherry shrimp and 2 snails doing their cleaning......Would hate to lose any during the night but don't want to risk the water leaking etc whilst we're asleep.
Oops - ignore my posts :oops:.
I read flex for edge.

Most reactions

Back