Hey People From Ryan

Ryan251

Reaction score
Heya people, my names ryan, im 12, live in south wales and have a love for fish, aquatic plants and other aquatic animals, me and my friend both want to be marine biologists when we are older, besides the point.
After I Turned 12, i Started Noticing my pond alot and started buying fish, 2 koi karp, 1 chinese koi karp,
lots of goldfish, and after that, tom bought some new fish for his aquarium, i decided i wanted one! =]
After Having A Brother And A Friend That Had Aquariums, A New Light Dawned On Me That This Is What I Want for Christmas.

This Is The Tank Im Looking At.

The Fishtank

Its 120 Litres, with
1 x Juwel Monolux 100 black
1 x Pump Set 400 l/h
1 x Heater 100 Watt/230v UK Model

For £129.99

I Understand I Have To Buy The Cabinet Seperately.

If Anyone Could Help Me With My New Fish tank, i would be really greatfull
when i say that, if there is a better tank for a bit more, then that would be good, P.S It Has To Be U.K

Thanks, Ryan :nod:

Hi Ryan,

:hi:

Have just sent you a PM as to the where you can get a NEW Rekord 120 with stand and extras for £130.

Good Luck.

Gary.

Hi Ryan and welcome to the Tropical fish forums. As the sign say its the friendliest forums around and if you have any questions the good folks here should be able to help you with them :D .

You've started out on the right direction by thinking of purchasing the Rekord 120. One of the best pieces of advice for someone starting out is buy as big a tank as your budget can afford. It saves money and sanity in the long run. The bigger tank creates a more stable and natural environment for the fish, and let's face it once you get the bug you'll always want a bigger tank so starting out with a big one puts you one step ahead.

Another brilliant piece of advice is to read up on the subject as much as you can before you buy any tanks and equipment and especially read up on the cycling procedure for your new tank. In terms of fish health it's always wise to only add fish to a fully cycled tank which has an established bacterial community which can cope with the watse that the fish produce. After all when you're buying a fish you're also buying a little ammonia producing factory!! ;) .

Most systems are sold with the cabinet as a seperate item. If you're unsure whether the area you want to put the tank would cope with the weight of tank and water , a 120 litre tank will hold 120kg of water which is approximately 19 stone!! you might be better off buying the stand as it will be designed to cope with the weight of the tank and water as well.

Yeah, im going to buy the purpose made stand for my rekord 120,
i also can get advise of my brother, as he bought a tank for his girlfriend, they live in a separate house to me! his tank is about 60 inches in length, i think, its huge though,

after i buy the tank, what should i do next, buy plants, or what
also i might buy a bio-wheel, or maybe double up on my filtration

i have rounded off the cm' to the nearest inch

40x12x18 inches, is that roughly about the right size?

Ryan251 said:
after i buy the tank, what should i do next, buy plants, or what
also i might buy a bio-wheel, or maybe double up on my filtration
When you get the tank make sure you have a bottle of de-chlorinator to hand, I use haloex.

For lots of handy and helpful information you could do worse than download an print out the Fluval Aquarium Care Guide from the Hagen website. Just to be warned though, it's a 4.8 Mb file so if you don't have broadband it might take a while to download. I've picked up printed copies in my local Jollyes so you could get one there as well if you can't get it off the net. It's well worth a read and will provide lots of invaluable tips and advice.

As for planted aquariums I just work with the old plastic plants basically because I'm too lazy!!!. I'm sure plenty of other folks will be able to provide you with advice on planting up your aquarium and the benefits it has for the fish such as oxygen production and another foodsource for some species.

As long as you remember the rough rule of thumb of 1 inch of fish per US gallon of water for stocking purposes you'll not go too far wrong and stress out the filter that comes with the tank. BTW your tank holds roughly 31 US gallons so if you subtract about 1 gallon for the tank substrate and any furniture such as rocks or bogwood, that should give you a rough idea of how many fish you can stock. Bear in mind that some fish are smaller than others and almost all fish sold in your LFS are juveniles so will grow in time. At the end of the day doubling up on your filtration can only help any fish in your tank. ;)

Im Thinking About Doubling it up, whats a bio-wheel actually like?
the most fish i will be buying is small tetras, maybe a few gentle giants! :blush:

Here is a link to a page with information on the different types of aquarium filters. It has a picture of a biowheel at the top of the page. My first aquarium had a biowheel but I'm not sure if you can fit them to existing tanks as mine was built into the hood of the aquarium.
If you post the question about which fish species to stock in your new tank in the beginners section of the forum you'll get a better answer than anything I could give

Ferplast Cayman 80 Scenic Professional

Includes bowfronted aquarium and stand with the following features.

3 Step complete filtration system (BluWave05 and BluPower 350 l/h)
BluClima 100W heater.
2 x 18W light tubes.
6mm glass.
Timer for lighting system.
Heater and pump switch.
Safety 'child-proof' closing lid.
Full opening lid with self supporting arm.
Food dispensing housing.
Practical feeding hatch.
Handy upper frame.
Holds 150 Litres.
The stands are exceptionally sturdy and strong thanks to the quality of materials used and are designed to bear the weight of the aquarium when full. The stands also feature a special compartment for external filter and a hole for passing through water tubes.

L 81.5cm

H 52.5cm

W36/46cm

for £300, anyone had problems with this tank before if not, then thanks!

Ryan

Most reactions

Back