Hexagon Tank

ksam

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This is my smallest planted tank, it's roughly 13 gallons (UK) and is home to "Star" my veiltail betta (I have lots of bettas) a few neons, otos young bristlies & shrimp.

I gave it a much needed tidy up today, the vallis at the back was over grown and starting to choke itself (I now have a big bucket full of the stuff waitng to go into another tank, lol). This tank was set up to be as basic as possible (in terms of maintance), it's been going for over 1 year now, a few plants had to be removed as the bristlies decided they didn't want them in their way, lol, and kept digging them up.

Stats,
volume approx 13g
lighting 1 x arcadia tropical 18w, 1x arcadia original 18w
cactus compost underneath a layer of sand
vallis
cryptocoryne wenditti
sagataria
java moss

(sorry for the quality of the pics, it's rather difficult getting good pic of this tank at times cos of the shape)

hextankright.jpg

hextankleft.jpg

hextank.jpg

looking good :) Ive been reading that hex tanks are very hard to light :) I guess its working out for you since the plants are growing :)

Your right about the lighting, the shape makes it very akward to fit the light over the tank, I've had to cut the hood to fit the tubes through............they're the full width of the tank (end caps sit over the edge on both sides), but it can be done ;) The problem with fitting tubes over the tank was the reason I want it to be a low maintance tank ;)

I have a 35 gallon hex tank and have been trying to add plants to it. I am super confused about how much light it should have, since most of the articles I can find on the subject do not relate to hex tanks (just that they are hard to light, LOL) It looks like yours are definitely growing well. Any suggestions on what I should do to help my plants grow better in my tank? I am not sure lighting is *all* of my problems, but it is some of it, I am sure...

Most reactions

Back