Henry Doorly Zoo, Omaha Nebraska

dthoffsett

I'm a girl . . . yup, definitely a girl. =)
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
As a surprise, for my birthday, I got to go to Omaha, NE last weekend. One of our stops was the Henry Doorly zoo which is huge, we didn't even make it through the entire zoo but I still managed to take entirely too many pictures. This will be part two of several topics (the majority will be in the non-fish section).

Some more saltwater pics, at the end will be some of a large South-American tank they had.

First off, Penguins! I could have watched them bickering for hours. :lol:
penguins1.jpg

penguins2.jpg

penguins3.jpg

penguins5.jpg

This tank was awesome, it was HUGE with a tunnel you could walk through and have the fish on all sides. I think all together there were around 20 different sharks, 2 sea turtles, and tons of other fish. By far my favorite part of the zoo.
LargeAquarium14.jpg

Trachinotus blochii
LargeAquarium15.jpg

Jellyfish
LargeAquarium16.jpg

LargeAquarium17.jpg

LargeAquarium1.jpg

Ray
LargeAquarium3.jpg

LargeAquarium5.jpg

LargeAquarium6.jpg

turtle
LargeAquarium7.jpg

LargeAquarium9.jpg

This was a neat little tank, all it had were anemones and clownfish, it was fun to watch the clown darting around.
AnemoneTank1.jpg

AnemoneTank3.jpg

coastaltank2.jpg

coastaltank1.jpg

Now for the freshwater fish

Arapima, there were probably 7 or 8 of these in the tank, along with the biggest red-tail cat I've ever seen.
arapima1.jpg

red-tail catfish
red-tailcatfish.jpg

The royal pleco (id courtesy of straydum) was in a different tank (this was the only pic that came out decent). It was at least 2 feet long.
FreshwaterTank1.jpg

The last pics are from a large south-american tank, it was pretty cool fish below, with a large primate habitat above.
southamericantank7.jpg

Metynnis maculatus (spotted metynnis) (Thanks mark7616 & ox5477!)
southamericantank5.jpg

Pacu
southamericantank4.jpg

arowana, there were two of them in the tank
southamericantank3.jpg

Oxydoras Niger (ripsaw catfish) (courtesy of Mark7616), there were 2 of them, and HUGE.
southamericantank1.jpg

Thanks for looking, and again any id's are welcome. :good:

Haha, I just was at the Henry Doorly Zoo the other day for a special event that they had. I got to walk on top of the aquarium x3

And the picture of the arapima doesn't describe they're size very well. Those things are HUGE, easily 6-7 feet long. And you didn't get any pictures of the lake victoria cichlids D:

Btw, I think that the last picture is some kind of sturgeon, maybe?

great pics---

the first one reminded me of HAPPY FEET---- :D

my fav among the rest:

LargeAquarium14.jpg

is there any more photos?

:kewlpics:

that pleco there is a royal plec by the way. i say 2 feet is huge for a royal. i use to think they only got up to a feet

Haha, I just was at the Henry Doorly Zoo the other day for a special event that they had. I got to walk on top of the aquarium x3

And the picture of the arapima doesn't describe they're size very well. Those things are HUGE, easily 6-7 feet long. And you didn't get any pictures of the lake victoria cichlids D:

Btw, I think that the last picture is some kind of sturgeon, maybe?

I did get pics of the victoria cichlids, I just haven't gotten around to editing the. I know the arapima are huge, I don't think any pic would really do them justice, definately something to see in person.

great pics---

the first one reminded me of HAPPY FEET---- :D

my fav among the rest:

LargeAquarium14.jpg

is there any more photos?

:kewlpics:

Thanks for the nice comments, I have several other topics floating around about my visit, check this section and the non-fish. :good:

that pleco there is a royal plec by the way. i say 2 feet is huge for a royal. i use to think they only got up to a feet

I was pretty surprised about the size too, easily the largest pleco I've ever seen. He was quite happy in a large tank with discus, silver dollars, etc.

Not sure what specie of catfish this is, but there were 2 of them, and HUGE.
southamericantank1.jpg

It is an Oxydoras Niger (ripsaw catfish). Here is my one not quiet as big:
Picture1949.jpg

Thanks Mark, that's one hell of a catfish you've got on your hands! The two at the zoo were really active it was hard to get pics. :good:

I believe the first "pacu" species you described is actually one of the group of silver dollars. Maybe the redhook sp from looking at the others long anal fins (the one in the forground appears to have his bitten off)... though the dai-glo yellow spots make it seem like its not redhooks.... The second fish ided as a pacu is a pacu

Ox :good:

It looks like a Metynnis maculatus (spotted metynnis) but very old. Same as red hooks but spotted never seen yellow spots but I would put that down to age you also get some with stripes.

I believe the first "pacu" species you described is actually one of the group of silver dollars. Maybe the redhook sp from looking at the others long anal fins (the one in the forground appears to have his bitten off)... though the dai-glo yellow spots make it seem like its not redhooks.... The second fish ided as a pacu is a pacu

Ox :good:

It looks like a Metynnis maculatus (spotted metynnis) but very old. Same as red hooks but spotted never seen yellow spots but I would put that down to age you also get some with stripes.

Thanks guys. :good:

Most reactions

Back