Henry Doorly Zoo, Omaha Nebraska

dthoffsett

I'm a girl . . . yup, definitely a girl. =)
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
As a surprise, for my birthday, I got to go to Omaha, NE last weekend. One of our stops was the Henry Doorly zoo which is huge, we didn't even make it through the entire zoo but I still managed to take entirely too many pictures. This will be part one of several topics (the majority will be in the non-fish section).

I'll start off with some of the saltwater pics I took, any ID's will be greatly appreciated as I'm not too good w/SW.

dog-face puffer (courtesy of ox5477)
saltwater21.jpg

grouper
saltwater22.jpg

Blue spotted grouper (courtesy of ox5477), this guy was so cool, he'd come right up and check you out.
saltwater15.jpg

saltwater14.jpg

saltwater16.jpg

Not a great pic, but love that you can see his teeth
saltwater17.jpg

Moray eel?
saltwater18.jpg

I was really excited that they had a sea dragon, very cool in person
saltwater19.jpg

I also got a video

dog-face puffer
saltwater20.jpg

saltwater10.jpg

Very cool mantis shrimp, can't remember the exact species
saltwater11mantisshrimp.jpg

Pastel Hammer (courtesy of ox5477)
saltwater12.jpg

saltwater13.jpg

Feather Duster
saltwater9.jpg

saltwater2.jpg

saltwater3.jpg

Sole of some sort?
saltwater4.jpg

This tank was really cool, the anemones were the size of dinner plates!
saltwater5.jpg

saltwater6.jpg

Had to get a pic of a frog fish for Andy. :lol: Besides, I think they're cool.
saltwater8.jpg

LargeAquarium18.jpg

saltwater1.jpg

LargeAquarium11.jpg

Sharks
LargeAquarium13.jpg

Hope you all enjoy, and check out my other topics. -Dawn :good:

Well I think the puffer is a dog faced puffer... and big one at that.

The next is a large grouper, with the secondfish after the puffer being a large wrasse or parrot fish sp i believe?

The blue spotted grouper after that is gorgeous. I once had a chance to get one of them... but nay had the room... absolutly beautiful patterning on it!

The eel does look like a moray species and the last picture of the coral is a branching hammer coral... aka Pastel Hammer. Typically you will see green hammer corals sold in the trade because of their more vibrant colors, but I actually like this coral better and own a 7 branch specimen :good:

That wave exhibit looks interesting. Was it showing how inverts and bivalves will cling and grow on what looks like shoreline pilings? Pretty cool

Seems like any aquarium has look downs.... must be a very common fish for trade for large aquaria.

Were those sandtaiger sharks? If they were, hope got some pictures of those nice big teeth

Ox :good:

EDIT: spelling

The blue spotted grouper after that is gorgeous. I once had a chance to get one of them... but nay had the room... absolutely beautiful patterning on it!

He was gorgeous, and extremely friendly, I got several good pics of him. When I walked up to the tank he came right over to check me out. Then he floated over onto his side and patiently waited for me to take pics. Unbelievable! If I had the tank for it I'd definitely get one.

the last picture of the coral is a branching hammer coral... aka Pastel Hammer. Typically you will see green hammer corals sold in the trade because of their more vibrant colors, but I actually like this coral better and own a 7 branch specimen :good:

Thanks, I've seen the green variety before, but I'm with you, this is much prettier.

That wave exhibit looks interesting. Was it showing how inverts and bivalves will cling and grow on what looks like shoreline pilings? Pretty cool

Yup, that and it described how a wave forms.

Were those sandtaiger sharks? If they were, hope got some pictures of those nice big teeth

They had several shark species, but there were some with large teeth. Unfortunately the still shots just didn't come out, it was really dim in there. And I could just kick myself for accidentally deleting the short videos I did. I was an idiot and went through my pics while they were on the camera, deleting any blurry ones. Apparently I deleted the videos without realizing it. :crazy:

Ya, if they had big teeth.. it was prob the sandtiger sp... these are the most common in public aquariums or zoos because of how their craggled teeth stick out and make them that much more terrifying. The fact that they are very bulky helps to make them much more intimidating as well... even though sandtigers can be one of the more docile large sp of sharks...

Ox :good:

Great pics! I grew up in omaha and that zoo is beautiful. the pictures are only a fraction of the aquatic life they have there...my favorite is the giant brackish display at the end of the aquarium. i also love the jelly fish display as well.

i know it was sometime back but in one of the "bubbles" that pertrude from the main aquarium, they once had a deep see ocean display. so you poked your head through the black sheet to see pitch black...and then all the sudden crazy lights from the fish they had.

good pics!

Great pics! I grew up in omaha and that zoo is beautiful. the pictures are only a fraction of the aquatic life they have there...my favorite is the giant brackish display at the end of the aquarium. i also love the jelly fish display as well.

i know it was sometime back but in one of the "bubbles" that pertrude from the main aquarium, they once had a deep see ocean display. so you poked your head through the black sheet to see pitch black...and then all the sudden crazy lights from the fish they had.

good pics!

I could have spent hours in there taking pictures, they really do have a diverse selection.

They didn't have the bubble thing you were talking about that I saw. Too bad, that would have been cool. :good:

Most reactions

Back