Help

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kgodwin00

Reaction score
Hi, I have done research and I've found nothing to contradict my plan but I just wanted to double check with some people who are maybe more experienced before actually stocking the tank, my plan is too stock a 30 gallon tank with 3 fancy guppies 3 platys 3 Cory catfish 1 dwarf gourami and 8 neon tetra

I'd think again now I know more about fish. Stick to hard or soft water species, not both and go from there, although you need to state water parameters before anyone can advise more.

Hello and welcome to the forum. What type of water do you have? tetras like neon are soft water fish. If you keep them in hard water they will not live as long. Their bodies will absorb too much minerals from the water. It is like us eating too much fat. Your guppies and platys are hard water fish and will not get the minerals they need from soft water.

What is your GH? Guppies and platies require hard water, while the other species mentioned need soft. whichever type of water you have, one or the other kinds of fish will be suffering and slowly dying.

You can find your GH on your local water providers website or you can call them directly

I agree with others, we need to know the hardness (GH) of your source water. Check the website of your water authority, it may be in the water data there.

While waiting for that important data, a couple comments.

The Corydoras catfish need a larger group. Minimum numbers are always troublesome because without question a shoaling species fish will be in better condition and health the more there are, and in this sized tank you have space to give them what they expect so a group of 8-9 should be minimum. Neon tetra are also shoaling but a group of 8 is OK here.

Dwarf Gourami was mentioned...this is a risk as this species frequently carries the iridovirus and is best avoided unless you obtain the fish direct from a reliable breeder. The Honey Gourami is similar but safe.

Most reactions

Back