Help

Hiya ive just read the fish in cycle and it was helpful. Just to make sure i understand, ive got to get my ammoina and nitrite levels down to 0, Nitrate can be higher ?

Yes it can, but not too high, the only way it is bought down is by regular water changes, normally 20-25% a week. Having lots of plants will absorb some of the nitrate too!

Hiya ive just read the fish in cycle and it was helpful. Just to make sure i understand, ive got to get my ammoina and nitrite levels down to 0, Nitrate can be higher ?

Yes it can, but not too high, the only way it is bought down is by regular water changes, normally 20-25% a week. Having lots of plants will absorb some of the nitrate too!

PS forgot to say, you do need to dechorinate your new water when doing a change or you risk killing the bacteria in the filter! Some people risk it with small changes but better to be safe, particularly as you are still cycling!

This maybe a daft question but if I were to add SLIGHTLY too much de-chlorinate what will the effect be? I'm assuming if too much is added it could make the water toxic?! Though clearly I could be wrong as I don't know hence why I'm asking the question!!
Cheers

You can overdose dechlorinator reasonably safely. You're right that a huge overdose will not be good for the fish, but many fishkeepers here regularly double dose when doing their weekly maintenance, just in case the water company puts in extra chlorine or chloramine because of pipe leaks or planned works etc - they do this without telling anyone, which is usually not a problem for drinking water but becomes a problem for tanks. You can safely overdose up to around 5 x concentration without worrying about it, so "slightly" overcoming is not a problem :good:

You can overdose dechlorinator reasonably safely. You're right that a huge overdose will not be good for the fish, but many fishkeepers here regularly double dose when doing their weekly maintenance, just in case the water company puts in extra chlorine or chloramine because of pipe leaks or planned works etc - they do this without telling anyone, which is usually not a problem for drinking water but becomes a problem for tanks. You can safely overdose up to around 5 x concentration without worrying about it, so "slightly" overdosing is not a problem :good:

WOW!!! thanks for all the help guys, well took a water sample to a reputable fish shop where I also got talking to the owner, my water had ammonia in, so I have done a 20% Water change after cleaning the gravel, filter, tank glass and purchased a liquid freshwater testing kit and some new food (looks like they may not like the one I got). Turns out where I got my tank is not the best shop in the world :angry: they sold me too many fish too soon and probably the wrong kind to start off with. So i'm very happy I found this new place who know what they're talking about and are very keen to help a newbie like myself :)

DONT CLEAN YOUR FILTER!!! It doesnt need it at this early stage and never ever clean your filter or its contents in tap water because if you do you wil kill all the bacteria thats growing which will cycle your tank and you will need to start your cycle all over again. Your filter and contents will only need gentle swishing in used tank water (some of the water you take out of your tank when you do your weekly water change). Also I hope you are using water dechlorinator too because if you dont that will also kill the good bacteria.

karfabreb, welcome to our forum.
Let me answer your first question. Yes, if a fish dies, remove it immediately. Congrats on finding a local fish shop that will work with you rather than just recommend things that make them a profit. It is becoming harder and harder to find such a place. Do not add any more fish at all until you have completed a fish-in cycle. I have a link to our method in my signature area.
For others posting here, if you have a question, please start your own thread to ask your questions. It is not that I would not answer your question but it is far clearer if each question has its own thread, for clarity's sake. It is sort of like defining a subject for each thread and then answering it properly once and for all.

OK .... This is going to take some getting used to but I WILL get there and become a good and responsible fish owner, i've just tested my water and the results are as follows: PH 7.6 which is high but i'm told it's normal for the area in which I live ??? I am worried again about the ammonia 0.25, so i'm gonna do another 25% water change, the nitrite is heading towards 0.25 ( i'm not sure what that means and the nitrate is heading toward 5.0, again I don't know what that means) Food wise, they loved the bloodworm and the new feed time of around 6pm, thankfully they are still 4 and playful so hopefuly I am on the right track. :)

Welcome to the forum! Sorry for your losses. :rip: You should remove a dead fish asap. Is your filter cycled?
Thanks KISSfn I think I am now in the process of cycling the tank, my poor poor fish, but I shall prevail and hopefully they will make it

Firstly if you are a fish owner you need a liquid freshwater testing kit. No one can keep fish without this as you need to be able to test your water as soon as you think something is not right so you can fix the problem. Its no good taking it along to your fish shop - some of those are worse than useless!

If you did not cycle your tank before you added the fish or dont know what cycling is then theres your problem. - your fish are in toxic water which is going to kill them. Read up on this link and start doing immediate 90% water changes until you get your testing kit and can see whats going on.

cycling with fish
Thanks Gilli for all your help, I think I maybe starting to understand bits, I will get there, it just may take me a little while :)

karfabreb, welcome to our forum.
Let me answer your first question. Yes, if a fish dies, remove it immediately. Congrats on finding a local fish shop that will work with you rather than just recommend things that make them a profit. It is becoming harder and harder to find such a place. Do not add any more fish at all until you have completed a fish-in cycle. I have a link to our method in my signature area.
For others posting here, if you have a question, please start your own thread to ask your questions. It is not that I would not answer your question but it is far clearer if each question has its own thread, for clarity's sake. It is sort of like defining a subject for each thread and then answering it properly once and for all.
Thanks OldMan47, this seems like a great place to learn, I hope I don't have to remove too many fish :)

A pH of 7.6 is not too high. Stable pH levels are more important than trying to achieve a certain level. You should do larger than a 25% water change if your ammonia is 0.25 (dangerously high). If you only change 25% you're still left with 0.19 ammonia (0.2 is dangerously high), if you change 90% you'll be at 0.02! Once your filter is cycled your bacteria process ammonia that converts to Nitrite. Then another type of bacteria will convert Nitrite to Nitrate. Then Nitrate is removed with water changes weekly. But now your goal is to keep ammonia as close to 0 as possible.

Glad to help! :good: By the way I, and I know many others here, were in the same situation as you when we started. I was stuck in a fish in cycle and was testing and changing water twice a day, everyday. It will get better!

Your ammonia and nitrite heading to 0.25ppm simply means it is time for a large water change. The nitrate is fine up to a value of about 20 ppm above your tap water. You will never see a value that high during a cycle but it will guide your water changes after you cycle.

The fact that you are seeing some nitrite is encouraging. It means that the ammonia processing bacteria or archaea are starting to develop.

Bloodworm should be used as a treat, not as a main diet. Typical dry food formulations are fairly well balanced diets but you could think of bloodworm as similar to ice cream. Yes they will go crazy for it but it is not a balanced diet.

Well the 90% water change has helped massively!!! Ammonia and Nitrite are both at 0 :thanks: :yahoo: I will do another water test later today and am prepared for another huge water change as early as tomorrow but at least I feel I am now getting somewhere.

congrats, you will probably be doing this for a month or more until the filter can take over ;)

Just done another 90% water change as ammonia and nitrite were 0.25ppm again. Nitrate was at 5.0ppm, looks like heading higher, is that good? Is it moving in the right direction? :unsure:

Just keep at it - testing and water changes daily. If your readings get higher do larger water changes and cut back on feeding. You can drain the tank down to a few inches and refill if its bad. Its a lot of hard work which is why its easier to do a fishless cycle, but although it seems like forever you will get there ! :good:

Most reactions

Back