Help!

Just to say that your 'bacterial bloom' is in fact due to using API proper pH 7.0, as is the slimy white stuff you find everywhere, it's a really nasty product. Leave your pH alone, most fish will adjust to it unless it is very low or very high.

Just to say that your 'bacterial bloom' is in fact due to using API proper pH 7.0, as is the slimy white stuff you find everywhere, it's a really nasty product. Leave your pH alone, most fish will adjust to it unless it is very low or very high.
Oh, really; I didn't know that, never having used such things. That's useful info to tuck away somewhere, thank you!

Just one more question...
During the fishless cycle, do the lights go on at all?
Probably doesn't make any difference but thought I'd ask the question
Cheers again

It's best to leave the lights off, as the ammonia levels will neccessarily be high and light + ammonia = algae.

Of course, if you've put plants in at the beginning of the cycle, you'd have to have the lights on for some of the time, but kept to an absolute minimum; probably 4 or 5 hours and no more.

It's best to leave the lights off, as the ammonia levels will neccessarily be high and light + ammonia = algae.

Of course, if you've put plants in at the beginning of the cycle, you'd have to have the lights on for some of the time, but kept to an absolute minimum; probably 4 or 5 hours and no more.

Thanks again

Okay we left the tank alone, but it's still completely cloudy and I'm still having to rinse the filter off each day because it's clogged. And the ammonia levels are still reading at zero....
You all said it was a bacterial bloom and that it would clear in 2-3 days but it's been 5 and it hasn't cleared at all. =(

Okay we left the tank alone, but it's still completely cloudy and I'm still having to rinse the filter off each day because it's clogged. And the ammonia levels are still reading at zero....
You all said it was a bacterial bloom and that it would clear in 2-3 days but it's been 5 and it hasn't cleared at all. =(

This is not a bacterial bloom, see my post number 16. Stop using API proper pH7 and give your tank and filter a good clean. Be careful when cleaning the filter, only swish it around in some dechlorinated water and don't squeeze it.

This is not a bacterial bloom, see my post number 16. Stop using API proper pH7 and give your tank and filter a good clean. Be careful when cleaning the filter, only swish it around in some dechlorinated water and don't squeeze it.

I did read it, and I haven't used it since that very first time, we also did a 50% water change, and that's what I do, I get a gallon of water, condition it and then swish the filter around in it until all of the cream is off. And the water runs through clear.

Most reactions

Back