Help

Luke0

Reaction score
i got a small 3 gallon tank on friday i had 8 neon tetras in there and 3 days later all but 3 are dead. i tested the tank and the ph level is 2.5 points higher then it should be. i bought ph reducer and i am going to start lowering the ph level but i think it will take to long and im scared my remaining fish will die in the process any tips?

Neon tetras even though a small fish should not be kept in a tank less than 10 gallons as they are a shoaling fish and need room to move.
Water stats in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate, and tap ph.

The one question that you will be asked is: Did you cycle your tank first before adding in so many fish??

Cycling a tank (introduction of ammonia from an aritificial source or from strong/hardy fish to grow the benificial bacteria in the filter) is an absolutely vital process and will lead to fish death if not done in the correct manner.

If you just filled the tank with water and put fish in without removing the chlorine from the water then this is your first problem. pH will change when a tank is cycling and these changes can kill many fish.

If indeed you have cycled your tank and that you have dechlorinated the water then changing the pH using products from the store is pointless as it will and can easily shift to the original pH.

Your best bet would be to stock fish that are suited to the pH of the tap water you use to carry out water changes per week.

well i cycled my tank and i used bottled water not tap water. i got my water tested at a pet store and they said the only thing wrong was the ph level

Did they test the water hardness then?

Hard water can prevent fluctuations in pH while soft water can have easily fluctuating pH.

well im new to fish keeping so i dont have a large range of test kits just one for ph. the guy that tested my water said that everything was good except the ph, he didnt give me the numbers for anything else

Sad to say them neons are not going to make it.
Should never add neons to a cycling tank need mature tanks.
I think if you want to keep fish you will have to look at ways of lowering your ph naturally.
All that 3 gallons is good for is a few fish like a betta.

ok, thanks everybody i might try to return the fish credit

Don't buy any more fish until the tank has cycled. There's a thread about cycling, please read it.

You said you received your tank on Friday and that you cycled it already?? It takes from three weeks to months to fully cycle a tank...you sure you did it correctly?

Definately read the thread on this forum about cycling...its pretty useful and will probably answer your questions.

Most reactions

Back