1 plec
2 guppies
2 fire mollies
5 baby mollies
1 black n white mollie
6 neon tetra
2 coleco platys
2 sunset platys

this is a huuuuge tank and the fish seem to love it, they are all friendly with each other and often share algae tabs with each other eatin off one at the same time!

heres the problem, woke up this morning and was planning on taking the baby mollies out of there net as theyre now big enough but as my boyfriend started doing this he noticed more tiny babies swimming around they must have been born over night sometime, problem is.......the mother of the older babies sadly died, so weve not got a clue where the new babies cam from HA! oh dear, n i know fish can keep having babies for months after,

one guppie has a gravid spot and has had for some time, shes never got seriously big tho!

and a couple of the platys have been lookin rather plump but have no gravid spot, shall we leave them to it n just keep an eye out for new babies then add them to the net with the 6 tht we found earlier? or does anyone know which fish could have had the babies?

sorry this is a bit of a long post but i wana do the best for my fish :)

cheerz guyz x

Hi Kezza :)

Welcome to the forum! :hi:

I'm going to move your thread into the Livebearers section so the folks who know best about these things can help you sort it out.

I hope to see more of your posts in the future. :D

It's really hard to say who could have had them. I would just be guessing. :X

I'd just let the Platies do their thing in the tank. If you add them to the net, it will be quite crowded, and you don't want to stress them out. You can add the new babies to the net with the others. Just don't keep them in there for a long time (over 2 weeks or so) because then you will risk stunting them. You might want to look into getting a fry tank, since you have so many Livebearers. :)

Good luck, and congrats on the babies! :good:

thank you

so ur sayin not to worry about puttin the pregnant fish in a breeding tank or net then?

jus look out for more babies n add them into the net?

thanks m8 :)

If you have a seperate fry tank, then yes, you could put them in. I would not put them in a net with the babies, or even a net at all, because of the stress. You don't want them to abort. :)

nah i dont have a seperate tank, after discovering babies this morning, all fish seemed rele happy so showin no signs of stress ill leave all fish in main tank n jus transfer the babies for a while until they grow strong enough to swim away from big fish lol

thank u chic x

congrats on the babies!!!

as Annastasia said you have so many live bearers in there it could be any of them that have had the fry, id probably go with the guppies just cause they are baby machines!!

keep the adults out of the net, if the tank is as big as you say it is the babies will have a good chance of hiding anyways then just put them in the net as you find em so they grow out a bit

before you know it you will have young fish everywhere!!!

hope you have good filtration on the tank your gonna need it!!

nah i dont have a seperate tank, after discovering babies this morning, all fish seemed rele happy so showin no signs of stress ill leave all fish in main tank n jus transfer the babies for a while until they grow strong enough to swim away from big fish lol

thank u chic x
Yup, that sounds good. :good: If you add in some floating plants, the babies will have a better chance of survival. :)

yea lol good filtration, big tank the fish have loads of room all 6 babies seem rele healthy which is good, and we have a tunnel and lots of plants for babies 2 hide wen we let them out of the net

thanks to everyone, iv only jus joined up but can tell already this is a good site bcoz everytime i go onto new posts there r loads more posts answered to

well done guys :)

How big is a big tank? Often if its the livebearers first fry they dont get all that big as they do since their broods get bigger the older the fish :)

110L i believe....lol not 100% sure

its 30 x 15 x 12 so not huge but id big enuff for the fish we bought,wen babies r big enough we will be selling or giving them 2 family

Most reactions

Back