Help, worn out over this tank

SABWARNER16

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I’m feeling a little bit worn out with my community tank. I have a 29 gallon tank that has been running for nearly two months now. It is cycled. Ammonia and nitrite 0. And nitrate is 5. Ph is around an 8 because tap water is pretty alkaline and the water is soft. Not very soft; just soft. I use prime for conditioner and do water changes about every week to remove nitrates.

So I have a Dalmatian molly (who gave birth recently and I have the only four fry I could find in their own tank to grow), 6 zebra danio, two platies, 4 snails and 15 shrimp. Over the last two weeks I lost two mollies and now my Dalmatian molly has the shimmies and I really don’t know why. I wonder if one of them had a sickness when I introduced them and it’s just now hitting? I don’t know what’s happening and I feel bad. I thought I was doing a good job considering I got it cycled after not knowing much about fish, and then I clean it every week, I feed them well but I don’t over feed.

Last edited:
I would test to see where your GH is right now, then go from there.

There are some shrimp supplements for the water that help, unsure exactly as i dont use them.

You could use crushed coral or cichlid sand substrate too until it raises the Gh where it needs to be (over 250ppm for mollies)

I would test to see where your GH is right now, then go from there.

There are some shrimp supplements for the water that help, unsure exactly as i dont use them.

You could use crushed coral or cichlid sand substrate too until it raises the Gh where it needs to be (over 250ppm for mollies)
Okay thank you, I will test and see. Are there any possible causes in case making it hard doesn’t work?

Theres always potential cause but keeping them in softer water can make them weaker and more likely to be affected by things they normally would shake off just fine.

I would also increase water changes while they show the symptoms, a little bit of aquarium salt would be helpful to them too. 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.

Do you have photos or videos of the affected fish?

Last edited by a moderator:
Theres always potential cause but keeping them in softer water can make them weaker and more likely to be affected by things they normally would shake off just fine.

I would also increase water changes while they show the symptoms, a little bit of aquarium salt would be helpful to them too. 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons.

Do you have photos or videos of the affected fish?
So it turns out that I found someone in my area who is a fish hobbyist and just set up a 75 gallon tank for livebearers and is taking in any fish that need to be rehomed. He is happy to take my fish in this tank and give them a little TLC and an upgraded tank lol. I feel a little sad that I really tried and loved them but still have to give them away, but I know they’re going to someone who knows more about them. I’m going to just stick with bettas since I know more about them haha. Thank you for your help.

So it turns out that I found someone in my area who is a fish hobbyist and just set up a 75 gallon tank for livebearers and is taking in any fish that need to be rehomed. He is happy to take my fish in this tank and give them a little TLC and an upgraded tank lol. I feel a little sad that I really tried and loved them but still have to give them away, but I know they’re going to someone who knows more about them. I’m going to just stick with bettas since I know more about them haha. Thank you for your help.
There's probably a wider scope of fish available to people with soft water than hard tbh: Gourami, Tetra, killifish, apistogramas... There are more people softening their water than there are making it harder (I would imagine).

Most reactions

Back