Help with southeast Asian stocking

Thanks for the feedback the glass catfish is the only fish I'm set on getting the other fish I'm still considering. So with the sand what type a of sand fine grain and what sort of colour.

This species is a shy and rather nervous fish, quite sensitive to water parameters and highly susceptible to changes in water parameters or conditions. This very unique and interesting catfish must be kept in a group (your intended 12 is perfect), otherwise it may refuse to eat. It also cannot have boisterous tankmates for the same reason. A thickly-planted aquarium providing some swimming space with a gentle current is essential to calm this very timid fish. Floating plants will significantly assist in keeping this fish less stressed.

You can use specific aquarium river sand, which gives you a choice of colours, just avoid at all cost white as this without question will affect this shy fish (substrates are dark which allows fish to feel less obvious and thus less stressed). A neutral dark tone, like buff or dark brown or dark grey is best. Or for less expense but certainly no issues, quality play sand--in the UK Argos is highly recommended by other members. A "normal" buff tone is fine, you can add dried leaves, and chunks of dark wood to break up the sand and these are both natural to the fish's habitat. Collect dried leaves in the autumn (excellent time of year for us northern hemisphere aquarists), from the ground so they are dead dry, under trees like oak, maple, alder, birch, beech are safe.

Thanks for the information.im not worried about plants it will be heavily planted at the back opening up in the front were the botanicals will be. I will go for a darkish substrate. So with the leaves how many would you recommend.

Thanks for the information.im not worried about plants it will be heavily planted at the back opening up in the front were the botanicals will be. I will go for a darkish substrate. So with the leaves how many would you recommend.

As many as you like. Below is a photo of my 33g when it was a Sri Lanka biotope, the sand there is covered with dried leaves. My Black Ruby Barbs interestingly took a gourmet delight in the oak leaves, they ate all of them regularly, I was putting in 5 or 6 every week at the water change. Its a terrible photo, my bad camera skills, but it gives the idea. Second photo is my 10g when it had fry of pygmy cories and Farlowella vitatta. Dried leaves are producers of infusoria, the best food for new-born fry, and most any fish will graze this as well. You wouldn't want this leaf collection in a display tank, but in this tank it was excellent for live first foods.

Attachments

• 33g Aug 16-16.JPG
    33g Aug 16-16.JPG
    287.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 10g Aug 23-13.JPG
    10g Aug 23-13.JPG
    336.9 KB · Views: 25
As many as you like. Below is a photo of my 33g when it was a Sri Lanka biotope, the sand there is covered with dried leaves. My Black Ruby Barbs interestingly took a gourmet delight in the oak leaves, they ate all of them regularly, I was putting in 5 or 6 every week at the water change. Its a terrible photo, my bad camera skills, but it gives the idea. Second photo is my 10g when it had fry of pygmy cories and Farlowella vitatta. Dried leaves are producers of infusoria, the best food for new-born fry, and most any fish will graze this as well. You wouldn't want this leaf collection in a display tank, but in this tank it was excellent for live first foods.
Thanks for the info. I've got a idea of how many I will add. Now I've got to figure out the lighting then start to scape the tank

Very cool, Byron. Always wanted to try a Sri Lanka biotope. And I would definitely want that look for a display tank!

Very cool, Byron. Always wanted to try a Sri Lanka biotope. And I would definitely want that look for a display tank!

I came across a second photo of this tank, taken three months before the earlier photo posted above, which is a bit clearer. You can see how much the plants have grown in three months. I had this tank running for a few years, and the barbs were the only fish, and from the original group of seven I had 13 or 14 later on from spawnings where the fry were able to escape predation. Actually, it is the eggs that escape predation by being "hidden," the fish in my experience rarely go after their fry, at least these didn't.

Attachments

• 33g Sri Lanka May 29-16.JPG
    33g Sri Lanka May 29-16.JPG
    236.3 KB · Views: 19

Most reactions

Back