Help With Sexing Dwarf Gourami

Ebony951

Reaction score
Hi, can you pls help me sex my Dwarf Gourami. I was told by the shop that it was male because it was blue and the females are pail yellow, :unsure: but its very plain and I think it might be another female as the pics of the males in the book have red stripes and I can't see any. :sad: I'm still quite new to this. Sorry about the poor quality of the pics. Thanx for any help :)

These are the best pic's I could get.
cam0529yl7.jpg
cam0540lv6.jpg

The one on the left is male, probably hasn't developed his colours yet. The other one is a female .

female dwarf gouramis are silver or grey and the males are colourful, usually red, blue or red & blue striped.

The one on the left is male, probably hasn't developed his colours yet. The other one is a female .

Sorry for the confusion. :unsure: The photos are of the same fish I was tring to get different angles so it could bee seen better. I hoped more angles would help to determine the sex easer. :fish: If it is a male without his colours yet when will he begin to get them? Thanx again for all your help. :good:

they are full grown and coloured up when you buy them. Yours looks like a female

they are full grown and coloured up when you buy them. Yours looks like a female

Thanx for your help. :thanks: I'll have to look for 1 that even I can tell is a male then, :good: as long as 2 females and 1 male is ok. :unsure:

Ooops, my mistake...:blush:
The first pic looked like it had faint stripes on it!
As Colin said, that picture is a female. Females are smaller and either plain silver, gold or blue. Males are a lot more colourful.

Check the dorsal fin. If it is pointed, it will be male. If not, then it is, female. But judging from the coloration, I agree with the others that it looks like a female.

Thankyou all for your help I'll try to find her a friend to swim with and :hey:

Most reactions

Back